Thread: cocobolo question

cocobolo question

I bought my first cocobolo yesterday, intended for pen blanks. Wet to rip it, discovered the beautiful oranges on the surface disappeared, it's rather dark and dull inside. I assume the brighter color on the outside is due to oxidation or light exposure. So the question is, how long should it take for it to become colorful again, and will it do it under a finish, or should I wait for it to change before finishing? Thnks.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Forman; 12-23-2007 at 4:39 AM.
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

According to "World Woods in Color" description of Cocobolo, "The heartwood color varies from rich red to an attractive variegated appearance of yellow, orange, and red streaks and zones, which mature upon exposure to a mellow orange red..."

My experience with colcobolo is that if the wood is dark, almost black, it doesn't change color, at least not in the time frame that I've used it.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 12-23-2007 at 1:13 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Dan...I've turned cocobolo for bottle stoppers and pens. My experience has been what you see is what you get. Some bottle stoppers were beautifully streaked orange and black...some pretty bland darkish colored. I find it a fun wood to turn. It's almost like it's waxed. The stuff I've turned, turned like butter and is just a kick in the pants to turn.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

It's not so much that it's dark, like black, it still has good figure and contrast, but inside it's like a sepia print rather than a color print, all the orange is gone.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Forman; 12-23-2007 at 1:37 AM.

-Woody Allen-

If you cut the endgrain on what your turning with a saw, what kind of color do you get? If there is still some oranges and yellows, you may be burning the wood as you turn. Maple, cherry, oak, and a lot of other woods are very sensitive to too much pressure and the heat that it causes. Padauk really doesn't like heat and goes from orange to deep brown really fast A few of my birdhouse finials got smaller as I reduced them to get rid of the burn. Even aggressive sanding will do it for you. Cocobolo is the same way. Heck, if you get it hot enough the darned stuff will end check! All surface-y stuff, but maddening when it happens.

I also would tend to agree with Ken that what you see is what you get. Again, unless you're really pushing your tools to not just float the bevel but using the bevel to polish the color right off the wood. If you've got some oxidation, wipe it off and see what you've got under it. If you can's wipe it off, do a little miter saw end trim and see what you've got. I've had some cocobolo that is really really dark. Pretty, but still awfully dark.
    Dean Thomas
    KCMO

I've also worked with some cocobolo that was bright orange on the outside, and more of a purplish grey on the inside. It looked like oxidation to me, and extended about 1/8" below the surface of the wood. When I cut a cross section of it, it looked like a sunburst paint job. I haven't seen any of the peices I made from it since they left the shop, so I don't know if it ever got it's color back or not. It also seemed to smell slightly different from other cocobolo I've worked with, a bit sweeter like brazilian rosewood.

OK, I took a pic of what I'm talking about. Jason, sounds like the same thing you experienced.

These two pieces are from the same section of board, just showing different faces. The orange one on the left shows an uncut face. The one on the right is what it looks like after the table saw gets through with it. The colors are very accurate.

I haven't turned it at all yet, just cut a half dozen blanks, they all look like these. I'm pretty sure it's an oxidation thing, but mainly wondering how long the process takes to color up again. I wanted to give one or two pens as gifts, but I want them to be orange, or at least know that they will turn orange in time, under a CA finish. I'm afraid the finish might interfere with the oxidation process, and keep them brown. Anyone know for sure?

Dan

-Woody Allen-

Try putting some finish on it and see what it looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Forman View Post
    OK, I took a pic of what I'm talking about. Jason, sounds like the same thing you experienced.

These two pieces are from the same section of board, just showing different faces. The orange one on the left shows an uncut face. The one on the right is what it looks like after the table saw gets through with it. The colors are very accurate.

Dan
    Dan, I turn a LOT of cocobolo, and this looks like the outside (uncut) surface was waxed, and that is what is bringing out the color. Put some mineral spirits or lacquer thinner on the cut portions and you'll see what it's going to look like when it's turned. It looks like you're gonna be looking at pens without much orange in them, but if I'm guessing correctly, they will be pretty anyway. You can NEVER guarantee what you are going to get out of a piece of cocobolo---every turning is an adventure. I have a supply of 16 cocobolo pens, and every one is different!! If I were you, I'd turn and finish them and see what you get.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

What Nancy said. And do wear dust protection when working with Cocobolo or any of the rosewoods...many folks are sensitive to them.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    What Nancy said. And do wear dust protection when working with Cocobolo or any of the rosewoods...many folks are sensitive to them.

Cocobolo is my absolute favorite wood to turn because the natural oils make it so easy to turn and to finish and it always comes out looking spectacular. The only negative thing about it is that I will get an allergic reaction to it if I do not take a shower after turning it. I discovered it this summer when I was perspiring, which caused the dust to stick to my arms. I did not shower afterwards and a few hours later a rash appeared that looked like the beginnings of poison ivy. It was extremely itchy and did not completely clear up for about a week.

Despite the rash, I still make a lot of pens out of it and will be making my first bottle stoppers with it this afternoon.

I've never met a piece of cocobolo that I didn't like!

What you have there Dan is some woodsealer making the grain pop. Once you put a finish on it the grain will pop again.

Dan, its the wax making it orange like Nancy said. You can get the same effect by using tinted shellac. I don't think cocobolo even needs a finish if you sand it to a small enough grit.