Thread: Bandsaw foot brake

Bandsaw foot brake

Been reading the manual for new bandsaw G0514X2 and am a bit confused. A foot brake is shown on Grizzy advertisement page but the instructions show only a foot actuated switch to shut off power to the motor and specifically says to not use other than in an emergency. I thought bandsaw foot brakes were intended to quicky stop the blade motion after one turns the switch off . Do other manufacturers' bandsaws with foot brakes just shut off the motor?
    Note states: Use the brake only in emergency situations to stop power from going to the motor and bring the blade to a stop.
    The caution states: The foot brake will not stop the bandsaw wheels and blade instantly. DO NOT become over confident and relax your safety awareness because of the foot brake feature.
    Cannot get into the cabinet to see the brake and Grizzly is closed today.
    Last edited by Chris Barnett; 12-23-2007 at 1:37 PM.

If you look at the exploded parts list, part #99 is a brake pad which is also connected to that brake pedal. It appears the brake disconnects electricity from the motor and puts a mechanical brake on it at the same time.
    Mike Marcade
    Senior Mechanical Engineer
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.

I don't think any of the foot brakes are meant to be used all the time. Just for emergencies to stop the wheels faster. And if the blade breaks, only the bottom wheel stops. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I use it some of the time depending on the situation. If I have to make multiple cuts and my hands are going to be near the blade to clear off scraps between cuts then I'll definitely use it to save time. I saw the same warning in my manual (I've got the G0566) and shied from using it this way until I saw Shiraz Balolia (owner of Grizzly) mention in another thread that he uses the foot brake all the time.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...d=5960&t=55306

I still try not to use it all the time - I assume the brake pad is a wear item and don't want to have to replace it. Plus, even with Shiraz's OK the warning in the manual still nags at me.

Finally got back to the computer. Really glad to hear all the comments. I looked at the pictorial but did not see the brake pad, only the electrical connector. Probably was looking at wrong page; thanks for pointing it out. The brake is not what sold this BS but thought it would be a definite plus anyway. Am more than glad though, that it also provides an electrical disconnect instead of only a mechanical brake. Doubt that it would be used often if at all, since time is the one commodity that I have left, a quantity unknown . Again thanks. On the 566, I looked at several others, including that one, but selected the 514. If I could do it over I would go for the larger and heavier and more expensive 17 inch with the 5 hp motor and order a planer at the same time. Thought about sending it back since it is still in its plastic wrap as delivered; discussed with CS but with the shipping cost, restock fee and all that, cannot do. DW agrees....I cannot do .
    Last edited by Chris Barnett; 12-23-2007 at 8:25 PM.

Typically a brake allows you to slow down the wheel much faster than just letting it spin down. This saves time when you need to change something like a fence or jig setting for the next operation. It also makes you less likely to get a hand near the band while it's still moving. I use the it practically every time I stop the machine and it's both safe and convenient.

What Grizzly is offering in this saw is different and in my opinion much less useful. The manual: http://www.grizzlyimports.com/images.../g0514x2_m.pdf
    shows both a brake shoe and a power cutoff, but it says you should "Use the brake only in emergency situations". It appears to be more of an emergency stop device than a true brake.

Pure speculation, but perhaps the intent of the original design was a brake but they found it not to be durable enough for regular use. Too bad, because a combination shutoff/brake that could be used all the time strikes me as a great feature.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete Bradley; 12-23-2007 at 10:03 PM.

I use the foot brake all the time on my MM20. Who wants to wait hundreds of seconds for a blade to spin down?

This is a similar situation on a power miter box: I think most of them have electric (or otherwise) brakes.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

My brother has the Hammer N4400 saw, the foot brake turns the motor off and stops the lower wheel.

It can be used every time if you want...........Rod.

I have the Griz 21" BS with mechanical brake and use it all the time. A light tap on the pedal trips the off switch for the motor and you need to apply a bit more force to engage the wheel brake. The pad squealed for a while until it wore in and the more foot pressure you apply the faster the wheel stops. Some of the newer saw models have electronic brakes, which seem to be even better than mechanical. I would choose that system if buying now. Good luck with your new Griz.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    My brother has the Hammer N4400 saw, the foot brake turns the motor off and stops the lower wheel.

It can be used every time if you want...........Rod.
    Yep, I use it on my N4400 quite often.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

The original post is from 2007. The current manual for the GO514X2 doesn't appear to have the 'emergency only' warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin McCluney View Post
    The original post is from 2007. The current manual for the GO514X2 doesn't appear to have the 'emergency only' warning.
    Right - the original information in this post is out of date. I purchased a G0513X2B last year and the foot switch is simply an alternative way of engaging the motor brake (magnetic, I believe), which you can also engage by pressing the red stop button. If you simply shut off power with the key switch, both motor brake switches are disabled, and then inertia and mechanical friction take over to slow the blade to an eventual stop.
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 02-10-2017 at 5:25 PM.

This old thread was bumped by a promotional post that was subsequently removed by the Administrator.

Jim
    Forum Moderator

Ugh! I missed that this thread was a decade old!! I hate that....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.