Thread: Jewelry box for daughter - a few firsts

Jewelry box for daughter - a few firsts

Well…I finished my 9 year old daughter’s Christmas gift and gave it to her today. This is a small jewelry chest with three drawers made from bubinga. I gave it to her with a sheet describing the origin of the wood and its connection to Cameroon (the source of the wood). She’s very enthusiastic about wild animals and the environment. I think it was more fun for her to have a perspective on how this chest is a connection to west africa, the age of the tree, various animals that might have spent time under it, etc. I was fortunate to have some help from online woodworkers who put me in touch with sources for pictures of bubinga trees, Cameroon, etc.

This project was designed in sketchup (my second design that way). The chest is bubinga (a first for me) and the drawers are a combination of bubinga and maple with half-blind dovetails (another first). The dovetails, alas, were made with a router jig but perhaps I’ll try hand cut for the next series. The chest has small turned feet (first #3). The drawers are lined with velvet and the two top drawers have custom made half-lap dividers to separate jewelry (a different pattern for each drawer; first #4). I thought about flocking the drawers but ran out of time. The chest is finished with General Finishes Armor Seal, Shellac (for the inside parts) and wax. I also hid an inscription to my daughter under a drawer that should be a surprise someday.

This was a really fun project and I learned a lot in the process. Its great to try new things even if they often crash and burn. I loved using this wood which is dense, has a great story and holds detail well. Not the easiest to hand plane, though.

At any rate, happy holidays everyone.

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow Rick...Great job!
    That's something she will always cherish her whole life. Of course...you'll be putting on an addition sometime in the future ya know.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Rick

Excellent job. Your daughter will be very proud to show it off to her friends!

Blog Entries
    Rick that's a beautiful family heirloom. She will love that for a lifetime as well as generations to come. Gifts like that really make a difference.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

That's a beauty!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice!

Tom

It looks great. are the three different color boxes there or is it the angle and the light playing tricks? Which picture best represents the boxes true color if it is all the same box?

It's only one box and the light does seem to be playing tricks. The second photo (with the three drawers partially exposed) is probably the closest to the true color. The first photo looks a bit too red and the last too brown. It does have some reddish tones as is common to bubinga, though. Very interesting wood.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

Rick

Very nice Richard! I hope you signed and dated it for your daughter's grandchildren because I expect this piece will be around for a long time.

Beautiful job! I like the educational part of the gift also. I'm sure your daughter will truly appreciate it even more than at present. Well done.