Thread: Timber thieves??

Timber thieves??

Never knew it was such a problem. A friend asked me one time if the 2 huge black walnuts I have were insured....
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/30/ste....ap/index.html

my folks were tellin me about one of their neighbors cut down some trees, and proceeded to dice up two black walnut trees into 18-24" segments for firewood.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Koepke View Post
    my folks were tellin me about one of their neighbors cut down some trees, and proceeded to dice up two black walnut trees into 18-24" segments for firewood.

That's just wrong.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Brickey View Post
    That's just wrong.
    i know.

i have not done any 'timber milling' or drying etc, but I told them if there were any more cutting done, i would like to have a few 12-14 footers

I had some friends who lost 20 acres of hardwoods from their Summer property in Maine. The local "caretaker" said he didn't know anything about it (and I have a bridge to sell in NY). I'm sure he took some form of payment and allowed it to continue. They decided not to pusue it because the local cops didn't even want to file a report.

I'm surprised that all states don't have laws in place to protect landowners. Loggers should have to pay ten times the finished market value in restitution and serve a minimum of one month in jail for each tree stolen.

I could make a felony larceny case real easy on just a couple trees if they were good enough.

Restitution would be actual value unfortunately.

Of course it is much easier to know who did it than to actually prove it in court.

Walnut firewood? Someone needs a smack upside to noggin. That is sick.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Some Mid Michigan guys got caught with a tractor trailer rig loaded down with at least one black walnut tree. I don't know what the penalty is but I hope they get some time. I have heard of several tree thefts in Michigan over the past few months.
    David B

They should be charged for breaking and entering like any other thief.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Steeling trees is common here in WV.

There are lowlifes that love to timber on others property without getting caught. They are brave too... possibly taking it right out of your yard if your not home. Fortunately that one is very rare.

Get caught timbering where you dont belong, they measure the tip of the tree to the stump to determine its height for retribution payment. Even if the tree rolled 50 feet down a hill... thats an extra 50 feet added to the measurement. Penalties are heavy.

If the landowner doesn't put a 30-06 through your rear end first that is.

A neighbor of my fathers use to timber, and he was known to be a thief about it. No respect for those folks.
    One good turn deserves another

I don't understand; why wouldn't be the same as stealing a car?

I have 14 acres, but it was all a vineyard 40 years ago, so there isn't much big enough to interest a thief.

I have relatives in N.H. with friends this happened to. When one neighbor got curious and talked to the logger thieves they just said they had an arrangement with the owner ( they knew their names ). The neighbor didn't think nothing of it. The thieves worked for a few more hours and left with a number of old growth trees and even cut away other perfectly good trees that were in the way.

I've heard those darn "turners" will do this. The rumors I've heard it's always been "Andy Hoyt" or "Jim Ketron" mentioned.....donno for sure....just rumors....from Maine to West Virginia....hey.....SMC signatures.."Have Chainsaw.....Will Travel"...?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I don't understand; why wouldn't be the same as stealing a car?
    The timber is assessed at current market value. I guess if you tried to steal a big enough tree the amount would certainly throw you into the felony level.

On tree theft, I saw an article a large pine was cut down in a lady's front yard. Soneone felt they needed a Christmas tree and should steal her fir. How nice
    One good turn deserves another

Dealing with timber thieves is simple, as long as they haven't cut down the hangin' tree.
    “I don’t have a lot of tools because it doesn’t take many to make furniture.” - Rob Millard