Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maloof style rocking chair plans???

Maloof style rocking chair plans???

I'm looking for Sam Maloof style rocking chair plans. The only ones I've been able to find are from Hal Taylor. Unfortunately, I just won't be able to go off to a class for $5k to make a chair, so I'm dependent on the plans. Does anyone have any experience with the Hal Taylor plans?

Has anyone run across other plans in a Maloof style?

Thanks.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Brickey View Post
    I'm looking for Sam Maloof style rocking chair plans. The only ones I've been able to find are from Hal Taylor. Unfortunately, I just won't be able to go off to a class for $5k to make a chair, so I'm dependent on the plans. Does anyone have any experience with the Hal Taylor plans?

Thanks.
    Brodie....You might want to do a search. About a year or so ago somebody posted some pictures that were outstanding but the plans were $$$$. It might have been the same guy. The poster said the plans were fantastic and they were worth every penny if it is the same guy. At the time I thought it was too expensive for my taste, but I was tempted.
    Gary

You'll find info at the bottom of the attached page for the free instructions.
    http://www.kappelusa.com/how_to_build.asp

David Dundas is a Creeker and he's got a DVD of plans he sells at a rather attractive price.

I have the plans from Hal. While they are not cheap, I feel they are very complete and of the nature that an experienced woodworker could complete they chair.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell View Post
    Brodie....You might want to do a search. About a year or so ago somebody posted some pictures that were outstanding but the plans were $$$$. It might have been the same guy. The poster said the plans were fantastic and they were worth every penny if it is the same guy. At the time I thought it was too expensive for my taste, but I was tempted.
    Gary
    The pictures may have been mine... but I have no plans

http://www.ballentphoto.com/gallery/1759033
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Brickey View Post

Thanks.
    I took a one week course with Hal and the cost was $800. It cost $5000 if you want to go home with (buy) the completed rocker. His manual is very well written and well worth the cost. I would expect anybody with intermediate skills to be able to build one from his plans. He also provides phone and email support with the purchase of his plans.

Steve

Did someone say "Rocking Chairs"? I have built five chairs from Hal's plans and here is a link to a thread with pictures of three of them....

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...=rocking+chair

I just started a website if you want to see some details but I must warn you the files are rather large, I have to resize them and add a bunch more content.

www.draginwoodworking.com

Hey neighbor, nice to see a some one on here so close to me. Have you ever been to Cerritos College wood shop? They have great classes, not sure on a rocking chair class though. Fullerton college has a rocking chair class I'm fairly sure.
    John

Link to Cerritos Woodworking Dept.
    http://www.cerritos.edu/wood/

Cerritos does have a rocking chair class but you will have to take prerequisite classes first. It is a great program and even the beginning classes would be good for any woodworker. William Ng teaches a class on Maloof style chairs at his school in Santa Ana, one week and you build a chair although I doubt you go home with a complete chair.

There is a differance between Hal's design and the Maloof style chairs in those programs, I am biased but I feel Hal's chair has several advantages in comfort over the Maloof chair and the instructions are a valuable tool to enable you to build chairs after the class is over.
    Last edited by Richard Dragin; 12-28-2007 at 11:26 AM.

Brodie - I see you're located in Long Beach. I'll be attempting a Maloof style rocker at Cerritos starting in January. I say "style" because it will be my own (and my wife's) design but will use Maloof elements, such as the joint between the legs and the seat, and the back supports. It'll have shorter rockers because of the space it will go into.

As I go along, I'd be happy to show you what I'm doing.

Unfortunately, I don't have a nice set of plans. I usually work from sketches and very rough drawings - certainly not full size drawings - and change a lot as I come to the fabrication point. I often just decide, "I don't like the way that's coming out. I'm going to change it."

You might already be way beyond my very limited capabilities so I don't know how much help I can provide, but I'm willing to offer any that I can. PM or e-mail me if you'd like to connect.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Richard, your chairs are beautiful!
    Last edited by John A. Williams; 12-28-2007 at 3:58 PM. Reason: spelling

I'd like to thank all of you for the information provided. I have to say, when you come to the Creek with a question, you get answers.

Mike & John: I've taken classes at Cerritos. They are great and thorough. They also have a good wood turning program for those that desire the vortex. Their facilities are fantastic and I can't recommend them enough.

Cerritos College unfortunately isn't offering WMT-246 the rocking chair class this semester, and I'm on a tight schedule to deliver by early March at the latest. I also haven't had the hand tool class there which is a requirement of WMT-246.

With good plans, I think I can get it done just in time. Fortunately I do have a pretty decent shop with most of the necessary tools, except enough clamps and space.

While I can always hope for a better deal out there, sometimes paying for it ensures you care about it. You run across so many sites nowadays that I just wanted to make sure that if I was putting that much money down I was going to get my money's worth. I think of plans as software, once the wrapper is off there are no returns. It is apparent from here and other places that woodworkers have used his plans, and received the support they needed.

Now if I could just find some Tiger Maple at a reasonable price...
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

I purchased the book and templates from Hal. The book is really a pdf, which can be printed. The pictures and there are lots of them are VERY HIGH QUALITY and can easily be blown up to 400% to see the detail.

I am about 80% completed with the chair and am very happy with the results. I did not have time to take two weeks for a class, but this book has been much like a university extension course. If there are problems, I just email or call Hal.

Last week Hal made a video of his work available. It is an 8-hour long video and covers nearly everything you need to know. There are a few discrepancies between the book and video, but that is due to his efforts at constant improvement.

So, for about $300 for the plans and video, plus the cost of the wood, I am going to have a $3500 chair and the expertise to build more of them for daughters-in-law and for myself. Yes, it takes a long time to learn how to build the Maloof-Style rocker. But $300 was a good investment. Without the trial and error that would have occurred otherwise.

I have a decent set of woodworking equipment but still had to purchase the obligatory bits and pieces. There isn't a straight line in that chair, so there was a lot of learning on my part. The time spent has been well worth it.
    Last edited by Fred Floyd; 10-26-2009 at 10:51 PM.
    Fred

"Precision woodscraps"