Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hawaiian Milo Vase

George, that is one elegant piece! Pats on the back to you... Very well done! You're right also, this wood could really be nice in calabash form.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

ThankYou, Everyone!

Thanks Team! I actually like this one myself. I appreciate your kind words.
    Dave,
    Calabash is a somewhat specific form. it's USUALLY a bowl form with a gourd-like shape. Another Hawaiian word for bowl is Umeke. If you do a search for either and call up the pictures, you can get a better idea than I can explain.
    Paul,
    Sounds like you should turn them anyway, the wood will make it worth the effort.
    It kills me that wood of this quality is going to waste, even today. Like on the mainland, you can't be everywhere and I have seen a lot of good turning stock just go to waste here, I can't imagine it doesn't happen there too. In fact, I know for certain that a lot of Kiawe - basically Hawaiian mesquite is going to wast in TONS. There is even too much to burn for barbecue.
    Steve, Dale,
    Hollow forms can be tricky. I called this a vase because theopening is 3 inches. If I may suggest, try using your hollowing tools in a regular bowl form where you can watch them AND feel them. Once you can control them like that, make 5 or more pieces of roughly the same size and shape... On each successive one, make the hole smaller. By doing that, you will get the feel as you loose the viability.
    Change One Thing

Blog Entries
    Georgous piece. The form is excellent, one of my favorite styles. Great selection of wood too.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Thanks for the tips George. I need to make a couple of straight sided cups. I kind of thought I would practice on them. All I know is that it is going to take some hands on time for me.
    Thanks again.
    Steve

George, beautiful wood combined with your design makes a truly lovely piece.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"