Thread: Furry shop helper

Furry shop helper

I think the Brits call them "work mates". The newest feline critter on our deck is definitely inclined to resting on my setup table. Milo helps me with all phases of fitting except for gluing. That is to her credit. But I am about to the painting phase of the kid's arbor and I suspect her real talents will show soon. So...

She doesn't really like water. The base coat is water based. I think we can get through that phase of finishing OK. The top coat is oil based. Has anyone tried naptha or mineral spirits on feline type critters? I'm not sure which is preferable. She did smell some mineral spirits on the floor last night and jumped less than two feet. Is that a good sign?

Btw, I am a "grandparent" to Milo as my daughter, her mom, will take her back, WHEN she gets married, then WHEN she gets the apartment, then WHEN she can afford the pet fee. So, like many grandparents, I guess we are raising her "kid"... indefinitely. So I have plans for getting something out of this cat. Her fur is really supple and smooth and should make for a fine natural brush. But it is not bonded well to the holder. Should I give her an epoxy bath first? If I use West System should I add filler or use it straight? How long should I wait to wash the fibers with Toluene to get the suppleness back on the ends? What brand of first aid kit should I buy before starting this?

Sorry to post so many questions but my only other natural brush is pretty good quality and seldom loses fibers.

David

Oh, and here she is.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by David Rose
    Oh, and here she is.
    What you need to do Dave, is make a brew (like tea), but use catnip. Then, just slather it on the proposed piece. Put it in a seperate room, dip the kitty in the finish of your choice and gently place her in the same room with the above mentioned piece. Go have a cup of coffee, beer or other beverage of your choice. Relax. Milo has it well under control. When you return, you'll have a purrrrrrfect finish on your project!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Smile

You guys are bad

Looks like Milo just needs a warm bed and some 9-Lives
    Best Regards, Ken

John, I like your idea, but you did neglect (grossly?) to mention the loose brush fibers. Are you suggesting many hours afterward with a razor blade? I mean on the work, not Milo.

Ken, she pretty well sleeps where she wants. The only room we keep as a "safe room" is our bedroom. And she contaminates that one often enough. I am somewhat allergic to cat hair. Therefore it is everywhere in our house. Her favorite room is the shop though. She is not allowed outside without supervision due to major outdoor dog problems (ours), so I think that is as close as she can get. She will even put up with some power tool noise for a time.

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Rose
    She will even put up with some power tool noise for a time.

David
    Hey Dave, in all seriousness....I'm no vet, but I've heard where having pets in your shop should be discouraged. You may not only end up with fuzzy finish, but dogs and cats have much, MUCH more sensitive hearing and the noise from power tools might be damaging to them. My current shop is not connected to the house, so it hasn't been an issue. In reality, even in my old shop, which was connected, it really wasn't an issue either. If one of the dogs or cats came in while I was working, all was good until I hit the power on any one of the power tools. They would exit stage left in a real hurry!

Oh, and as for the fuzzy stuff on your piece after Milo gets done putting the finish on, again, no problem. Take some of that catnip brew you made earlier and pour some into an atomizer. Very lightly spray the piece again, put the cat back in the room and go finish off that 6-pack. When you return, Milo will have used it as a scratching post and no more fuzz!

David, I can't speak to your specific allergy, but most people who have a cat allergy have it due to the cat dander that is in the air. The cat licks itself and transfers its saliva to the fur. The saliva dries and becomes airborne. There is a specific chemical in the saliva that people are allergic to. I was reading yesterday that the Siberian breed that has been recently introduced to the US from Russia does not contain the specific allergy chemical. Time will tell if it is truly a "hypoallergenic" kitty.
    Best Regards, Ken

John, good point about animals in the shop. I've kind of trusted her judgement as to whether she was willing to put up with the noise. Normally I don't hit the switch on the loudest tools when she is there, but they are all capable of damaging hearing. If humans are bad judges of that damage, animals could be also.

Here are my thoughts on your last suggestion. You do realize that the current project to be painted is cedar? Forget the damage to the paint. The pieces are only 3/4" thick! With advice like this I start to question your other ideas.

David, who plans to use a roller

Ken, thanks a lot! We already have three hypERallergenic cats. I don't plan to do a lot more "testing". Great tip though.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock
    David, I can't speak to your specific allergy, but most people who have a cat allergy have it due to the cat dander that is in the air. The cat licks itself and transfers its saliva to the fur. The saliva dries and becomes airborne. There is a specific chemical in the saliva that people are allergic to. I was reading yesterday that the Siberian breed that has been recently introduced to the US from Russia does not contain the specific allergy chemical. Time will tell if it is truly a "hypoallergenic" kitty.