Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: innovative (?) stand for mini lathe

innovative (?) stand for mini lathe

I finished my lathe stand last night, at least the shell of it. Basic modular metal stand from Rockler with 3/4" plywood throughout. I am not sure if it is getting drawers or doors or a combination thereof. The lathe is bolted down to t-nuts.

I think the pictures show it well, but I used two t-tracks flush to the surface for accessories. The auxiliary off switch is the only sliding accessory that I have made so far, but I plan on adding two lights and a dust hood designed around the t-track. The off switch is a really welcome improvement while sanding or turning bowls where you’d otherwise have to reach over the workpiece to kill the power. Also, I could potentially place the switch anywhere along the front or back. Anyway, I don't think it is really innovative, but hopefully someone can benefit from the idea.

-CF

State Of The Art!

Consider just hanging plastic or something and store your turning stock underneath. The extra weight will make the GORGEOUS stand even more stable.
    The plastic is an advantage because if the wood shifts it won't lock up sliding doors (just a thought).
    Change One Thing

Thanks, George.

My initial thought was a very intricate set of drawers with open grids for bottoms to allow shavings to pass through. At this point, I am considering what you mention, and the LOML suggested--using a clear shower curtain cut to fit the inside just to block the curlies.

-CF

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fierro View Post
    Thanks, George.

My initial thought was a very intricate set of drawers with open grids for bottoms to allow shavings to pass through. At this point, I am considering what you mention, and the LOML suggested--using a clear shower curtain cut to fit the inside just to block the curlies.

-CF
    Trust me on this, the curlies would still get caught! The shower curtain is a great idea, but consider tacking/taping the shower curtain thing to the outside at the top (maybe even with Velcro) and letting the bottom hang over the outside of the opening, otherwise shavings (and dust) will still get in there. OK, they will get into a pressurized diver's tank if you put it in the same room with a lathe, but LESS shavings and dust will get in that way.
    Change One Thing

Great idea and nice work on the cabinet Chris. Well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Blog Entries
    The only thing I can see is that you didn't leave room for the extension. You never know if you may want to add it later on.
    Have a Nice Day!

Thanks, Bernie.

Gah. An extension!

That was a pretty big issue for me and it may come back to bite me. I didn't want a longer stand due to very limited size and the fact that the longest stretchers in the kit were 48". I guess I could scoot the lathe left and make a new surface that was the required 8" longer to accept the Rikon extension. That would also be a prolem of material and the t-track lengths. Maybe at some point.

I thought I wouldn't be turning any spindles overy 16" but that turned into a joke really quickly as I want to turn some handles for gouges now. Unfortunately, the vortex has me in a bad way, and I'll probably just buy a bigger lathe rather than extend the Rikon.

That is a nice stand.
    Another thing you might thing about for closing it off is pull down window shades. They are pretty cheap and easy to hang. I used them in my shop because when you roll them up they are not in the way. I have them on a shelf above my workbench so when I am roughing I can keep my bench clean(er) and under the overhang of the bench to keep curlies off the shelves.
    Kevin
    Insert witty saying here.

Nice stand! What I really like is the big stop button on the wall.
    I need to so that myself. Mine is located right under the dangerous spinning object
    Dave Fried

Speak softly and carry a large bonker.

Nice job! If you decide to go with drawers (like my stand) make sure you have some way to latch them shut (like magnet catches). The vibrations from the lathe shake the drawers open little by little and shavings accumulate. Ugh! Your stand is more innovative than mine!

My son and I have just stolen your idea and will start cutting his dado's in the morning! This should really help him out! Thanks.Bill

I likr the T track idea. I might do one on yhe front of my bench to do a switch on. Perhaps one in the top back as well for lights, as you have mentioned.
    -------------

"Just a little bit of a curve will add to its fondleability." - John H.

Great job on the stand Chris. Are you using your router table as a lamp stand? I hope so, I won't feel as bad about my table saw air cleaner stand if you are....

Paul,

That is an authentic Craftsman 2 HP variable speed light stand. You should see my King 10" 3 HP table saw--it is a turning chisel organizer / workpiece holder--and I have one of those Biesemeyer dividers to help organize the top.

The router stand will, hopefully, be returned to its intended purpose after I pick up the right lights and make the fixtures to hold them in the t-tracks.

-CF