Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Built-in Bookcase - Feedback needed for first project

I'm a little late on this one, but here comes - hope you are sitting down.

It looks like a bookcase.

Ah, you say - it is a bookcase! Yes, but it doesn't have to LOOK like a bookcase. It's a bit stark for my taste. Here's what I would do to fix it:

1) As Paul and Jim said, make it match the room. You have plenty of room, so use the same width stiles as your fireplace stiles. Use the same plinths too. It you think that's too wide, cut it back an inch. Anything narrower is too narrow for that size case on that sized wall. You could flute them (or reed them - whatever the profile) too. Probably a stock trim piece at your local moulding supplier.

2) Drop the top. The upper rail is too thin. Make it wider and you can trim it with a taller piece of moulding that doesn't look like it's a cheap home center solution.

3) Make the top of the fixed shelf @ 30", 36" or 42". These are the very common "counter" heights.

4) Raise the bottom shelf. Lowering the top rail, and raising the lower rail will give the piece more elangance and mass. Maybe an inch in both directions.

5) Give the piece depth. How so? This way. Make your left and right stile, and upper and lower rails, the frontmost pieces. Drop the shelves back 3/4". Apply the base moulding in front of the lower rail.

6) You can, if you want, paint the inside back of the case the same color as your walls. That way, you cut down on the amount of stark white.

Todd

Todd - Thanks for the feedback. I have a couple of follow-up questions that I was hoping you could answer:

1) As Paul and Jim said, make it match the room. You have plenty of room, so use the same width stiles as your fireplace stiles. Use the same plinths too. It you think that's too wide, cut it back an inch. Anything narrower is too narrow for that size case on that sized wall. You could flute them (or reed them - whatever the profile) too. Probably a stock trim piece at your local moulding supplier.

- Any idea on what a minimum width of the stiles would be? Also, should the outside stiles be larger than the one in the middle?

3) Make the top of the fixed shelf @ 30", 36" or 42". These are the very common "counter" heights.

- I assume that is measured from the floor? Based on the current size of this case, do you think there is one of these measurements that would give a better overall proportion than the others?

5) ... Make your left and right stile, and upper and lower rails, the frontmost pieces. Drop the shelves back 3/4"...

- Can you elaborate a little more on this one? Are you saying that there should be a 3/4" space between the back of the face frame and front edge of the shelves? What about the center stile? Should it be flush with the side stiles?

Quote Originally Posted by Cam Poole View Post
    Todd - Thanks for the feedback. I have a couple of follow-up questions that I was hoping you could answer:

- Any idea on what a minimum width of the stiles would be? Also, should the outside stiles be larger than the one in the middle?
    I didn't download the SU file. 2" is way too narrow. 3.5" might be nice.

- I assume that is measured from the floor? Based on the current size of this case, do you think there is one of these measurements that would give a better overall proportion than the others?
    Yes, measured from the "FF" (finished floor). I go for function over form here. Depends on what you want to put in it. If you will cabinetize the bottom with doors, what height do you need? If you will display knick-knacks, picture or perhaps a vase w/ flowers and such, take that into consideration. You're pretty close to having a "hutch" or built-in cabinets with shelves by starting with a "bookcase", with the former being more appealing and a better fit for a living room / Den, while the latter is better suited to a study or home office.

5) ... Make your left and right stile, and upper and lower rails, the frontmost pieces. Drop the shelves back 3/4"...

- Can you elaborate a little more on this one? Are you saying that there should be a 3/4" space between the back of the face frame and front edge of the shelves? What about the center stile? Should it be flush with the side stiles?
    My point here is a flat face is not exciting or elegant. Let's say the sides are 11 1/4" wide, plus the face frame equals 12" total width. Make the shelves 10 1/2" wide, plus the front edging of 3/4" for a total of 11 1/4". The change in depth classes it up a little bit. (I didn't account for the thickness of the back, if any)

Todd