Thread: Need help with Blum undermount slides!

Need help with Blum undermount slides!

I have to build 31 drawers and install them with Blum undermount slides. The drawers are inset with 3/4" fronts. The back of the cabinet to the front of the face frame measures 22 3/8". I've looked at the specs for the slides and it looks like I need 21" slides. According to the specs I need a minimum of 21 7/8" inside cabinet depth. However, it says for inset applications I need to add the thickness of the drawer fronts to that. If I do that it comes out to 22 5/8", which is 1/8" more than my interior depth. If I go with the 18" slides it says the maximum interior depth I can have is 20 9/16", if I add my drawer front thickness to this it comes out to 21 5/16" which in my case is too small. Am I missing something here? Should I use the 18" and put some blocking in the back? Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You didn't say what model you were using.

They are undermount, full extension, soft close.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yep, those Tandem-type undermount slides are specific about the depth of the drawer. You make the drawers the dimensions the slide-maker specifies.

If you can use another manufacturer, you might look into Accuride's version. They call it the Eclipse. IIRC they have a larger selection of slide lengths.

You don't have to use the rear bracket. You can screw the slides into the sides of your cabinet. If the sides of your cabinet are not even with the edge of your face frame you can use a piece of blocking which is even with the edge of the face frame. If you use the 18" tandem slide with a 3/4" inset door you need approximately 19 7/8" from the front of the face frame. I think it is easier to use the rear bracket but if you are locked into these cabinet depth dimensions this method will work. Remember to add 3/16 to 1/4" to the thickness of your drawer front. This is the depth that the slide should be set into the face frame. Do a trial fit with one drawer. If the drawer front is slightly recessed it is easy to adjust it out; however if the drawer front is proud of the face frame the slide has to be repositioned. Once you have determined how far the slide has to be recessed you can make a simple jig to properly position all the slides. Also remember you have to use different locking devices for inset drawers.

Jamie is correct. Last year I bought some Accuride undermount soft-close slides and I believe I purchased the 21" set. They work great, and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I have this figured out. Jack, after reading your suggestions I think I'll be okay with the 21" slides. As per your calculations if I add 1 7/8" to the slide length I get 22 7/8" needed from the front of the face frame. In this application I have 23 1/8" so I should be fine. I'm going to throw together a mock cabinet so I can mess around with these things before I actually start any major construction.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

FWIW the Blums are about 30.00 a pair and the Acurides are about 60.00.

I’m going to be starting our kitchen soon and was planning on using the Tandem Blums. Never used them and have no idea how they are installed.

I was going to order some and build the cab’s and drawers to the slide’s specs. (familiarize myself with them… see how they work and mount first.)

This kitchen is going to have many more large drawers than doors on the lower units.

I don’t know if Russel’s question was answered, and I’d like to learn from that answer.

For Blum Tandems… what are the “Locking devices” (sold separately)?

Are these difficult to use? Seems easier, but I wont know till I get some in my hands. Do they mount to the bottom of the drawer stock or to the inside of the bottom edge (just below the bottom panel)?

Pros… help us. <smile>
    Last edited by Paul Simmel; 12-31-2007 at 12:28 AM.

FWIW the Blums are about 30.00 a pair and the Acurides are about 60.00.
    The prices are closer than that. Accuride couldn't stay in the business if the gap were that large. You may be getting a little confused because both manufacturers offer a version which has a hydraulic damper to slow the last inch of travel. The damper adds to the price of the slide, so it is good to make sure you're comparing apples to apples.

I was going to order some and build the cab’s and drawers to the slide’s specs. (familiarize myself with them… see how they work and mount first.)
    That's a good idea.

This kitchen is going to have many more large drawers than doors on the lower units.
    That's also a good idea. Base cabinet drawers cost more than doors, but offer much more convenient access to that space.

For Blum Tandems… what are the “Locking devices” (sold separately)?
    I could try to explain, but it is a little difficult. The simple answer is that you do need them. Buy them, read the installation instructions, and you'll see what they are. You can read the installation instructions online at retailers like www.wwhardware.com.

Are these difficult to use? Seems easier, but I wont know till I get some in my hands. Do they mount to the bottom of the drawer stock or to the inside of the bottom edge (just below the bottom panel)?

The drawer member has a pin into the back of the drawer, and those locking devices screw to the back face of the drawer-box front below the drawer bottom. See the pix in the installation instructions.