Thread: How I make perfect circles

How I make perfect circles

My cyclone separator top research requires lots of circles. I wanted a way to make 'em fast and make 'em perfect.

I created a jig that allows me rough them out with a jigsaw or bandsaw and then use the jig and my router table (with a flush cutting bit) to true them.

I use the same jig to cut holes.

I've included some pics here. More info at http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cj.htm.

that's interesting, thanks for the pics and the idea.

Blog Entries
    I'm curious about photo #3. Did you cut the inside of the ring with your jig?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I'm curious about photo #3. Did you cut the inside of the ring with your jig?
    Yes, the inside was cut using the following procedure:

(1) Drill a 1/4" pilot hole as the center of your hole. (2) Adjust the jig's pivot to the correct radius for the desired hole. (3) Use the jig as a compass and (using a pencil) draw an outline of your hole on the wood. (4) Drill a 1/2" starter hole just inside of the pencilled outline. (5) Finally, using your router table with a 1/4" flush-trim bit (inserted through the starter hole), along with the jig, cut your hole. NOTE: As you finish the hole, the center pivot point will be unsupported which can lead to a ragged finish to your hole. I suggest inserting pieces of 1/4" dowel in the bit's cutting path as you progress to keep the middle (waste) centered in the hole.
    When I'm cutting circles (and only have to flush-up the rough cut), I use a 1/2" two-flute flush-cut bit (I use the Whiteside 2405 available from Holbren on this page: http://www.holbren.com/home.php?cat=60).

When cutting holes (I made the ring by first cutting a circle and then cutting a hole in the circle), I use a 1/4" flush-cut spiral bit (I use the Whiteside RFT2100 available from Holbren on this page: http://www.holbren.com/home.php?cat=90).

When cutting holes you're cutting the full thickness of your wood in a single pass so you want to avoid pushing the stock too hard. I cut mostly MDF with this jig and it cuts like butter. When I've needed a large hole in other material I'll often use the jig to make a template in thinner material (I then use the template to flush-up the hole in my wood after cutting it with a jigsaw).

Sweet post! I will have to try that!! Thanks.

What a clever idea! So simple--once you've seen it, that is.

Here's a thought for a small mod, for cutting inside circles. Rather than pushing the V at the end of the jig against the bit's bearing, what about pulling the bearing against a V at the end of the jig's diameter-adjustment slot? That way, any loss of contact between the jig and the bearing won't spoil the piece.

Cary

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Swoveland View Post
    What a clever idea! So simple--once you've seen it, that is.

Here's a thought for a small mod, for cutting inside circles. Rather than pushing the V at the end of the jig against the bit's bearing, what about pulling the bearing against a V at the end of the jig's diameter-adjustment slot? That way, any loss of contact between the jig and the bearing won't spoil the piece.

Cary
    That is the way it works. For inside circles I use a 1/4" upcut spiral, so it may be hard to see in the photo that there is a 1/4" bearing contact point there.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    That is the way it works. For inside circles I use a 1/4" upcut spiral, so it may be hard to see in the photo that there is a 1/4" bearing contact point there.
    Thanks for the clarification. I'm not sure how I missed that the first time around.

Cary