View Poll Results: Would you buy a turning video if Bill Grumbine was the main character?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would.

101 89.38%
  • No, I am not interested.

7 6.19%
  • No, but I would bootleg it(please leave name and address for this one!)

3 2.65%
  • I would wait for the local library to get it so I could borrow it.

2 1.77%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interest in a New Turning Video?

Question Interest in a New Turning Video?

Good afternoon all

I have a question to put before the membership. Many of you know that I am a turner. I have been turning professionally for over 10 years now. Since 1995 I have also been teaching, and have taught almost every facet of turning to all kinds of people, from children to grandparents, men, women, physically challenged people, etc. During a recent class my student du jour approached me with the possibility of making a turning video. He is not the first one who has suggested the idea to me, but he is the first one who has the connections to make it happen.

This whole thing is in the most preliminary of planning stages - we are just talking seriously at this point about the concept and general procedure for actually producing this thing. The video, which could be the first of several depending on its success, would be a synopsis of the bowl turning class I teach. It would start with identifying the log in the field, cutting techniques with the chainsaw, preparation for the lathe, and then the turning sequence itself. All of the cuts and body movement techniques I use would be illustrated as clearly as possible with multiple camera angles. In fact, it would be a comprehensive moving picture covering the same subject of my bowl roughing article of a few days ago.

For those of you who have seen me turn, or have spent time with me on a formal basis, this would be a valuable review tool. For everyone else, it would be a way to see how I do it without actually having to come and see me in person. I do not want to minimize the personal aspect of learning this stuff, but a video is the next best thing, and not nearly as expensive.

This video would be professionally produced and made available in both DVD and VHS formats. It is not a small undertaking, and so I am posting here and in some other places to ask, what say ye? If I made this thing, are there people out there who would buy it? Do you think I am going in the right direction with this or am I out of my mind?

Comments, questions, etc, both public and private are welcome, and I hope to hear from a bunch of you.

Thanks for reading this.

Bill

Bill,

Count me in and send it on.....
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Bill...When I first got my mini lathe(Carba Tech) from Penn State Ind. I also got a video about "Turning pens and other Small Projects". Before turning my first pen, I watched the video maybe two or three times, and since then I have watched it a few times. Like the old saying " A picture is worth a thousand words", it is something I can refer to now and then or let someone else watch who is interested in turning. So to make a long story short, yes I think a video is very practical. Good luck on your decision. Rod Torgeson in Appleton, WA
    Rod

Bill,
    I'm not a for fun turner...maybe because my machinist background makes me feel like it's work...or maybe because someone like you didn't teach me. Whatever the reason, I would buy your DVD.

Of course that wouldn't stop me from coming up to spend some time with you...when I retire...to learn how to turn and discuss/solve some of the worlds problems.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Bill,

I think it would be a great idea. I don't think the market is flooded with this sort of product either. I was lucky enough to record DIY network woodturning and I have refered back to those for reminders.

One thought I have though. Unless it is cheap to do, I would think about not doing VHS. VHS is on its way out and more and more people are getting into dvd every year. I guess you would have to research what format woodworking videos in general get the most sales. Sure, there will be a few people who haven't switched over yet. But are those few going to be worth the expense?

Stefan

Bill,

I need all the help I can get. Yes I would buy a video or DVD, or what ever.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Bill, will you be dressed in conventional turners attire or will you be wearing a pink tutu? LOL, sorry new folks, it is an old joke.
    If you do it Bill, I am sure the finished product will be a valuable addition to any turner's library.
    Barbara in Remlik Virginia

If you've seen the Grrripper dvd, you will do a dvd rather than a vhs tape. The dvd menu feature is really great and dvd's last a lot longer.

Stan
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Plus the color of that pink tutu will really stand out on a DVD!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Your Proposed Video

Bill,

I answer you, not as an ancient woodworker, but as a retired proprietor of a professional video business. Our business is not that of producing video projects, but of designing, building, and instructing operators in the use of video systems. In the process of all this, covering about forty years, I have had the opportunity to observe the successful, as well as unsuccessful video productions.
    You use the term "professional" to describe the type of video production company you would choose. As I am sure you know, this is a very elastic term that might be used to describe me, if I chose to sell something round with my minimal experience in turning to yourself. There are many, many people out there who describe themselves as professional video producers who ain't.

You have had advice as to the final format you shoud choose, i.e. VHS, DVD, etc. I am certain that you already know that the final format is easy. It's the original format that counts.

Enough advice. If you would like my assistance, let me know. In the event you or anybody else wonders about my motives, ulterior or otherwise, I don't produce videos, just recognize a good one when I see it.

Regards,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Grumbine
    Good afternoon all

I have a question to put before the membership. Many of you know that I am a turner. I have been turning professionally for over 10 years now. Since 1995 I have also been teaching, and have taught almost every facet of turning to all kinds of people, from children to grandparents, men, women, physically challenged people, etc. During a recent class my student du jour approached me with the possibility of making a turning video. He is not the first one who has suggested the idea to me, but he is the first one who has the connections to make it happen.

This whole thing is in the most preliminary of planning stages - we are just talking seriously at this point about the concept and general procedure for actually producing this thing. The video, which could be the first of several depending on its success, would be a synopsis of the bowl turning class I teach. It would start with identifying the log in the field, cutting techniques with the chainsaw, preparation for the lathe, and then the turning sequence itself. All of the cuts and body movement techniques I use would be illustrated as clearly as possible with multiple camera angles. In fact, it would be a comprehensive moving picture covering the same subject of my bowl roughing article of a few days ago.

For those of you who have seen me turn, or have spent time with me on a formal basis, this would be a valuable review tool. For everyone else, it would be a way to see how I do it without actually having to come and see me in person. I do not want to minimize the personal aspect of learning this stuff, but a video is the next best thing, and not nearly as expensive.

This video would be professionally produced and made available in both DVD and VHS formats. It is not a small undertaking, and so I am posting here and in some other places to ask, what say ye? If I made this thing, are there people out there who would buy it? Do you think I am going in the right direction with this or am I out of my mind?

Comments, questions, etc, both public and private are welcome, and I hope to hear from a bunch of you.

Thanks for reading this.

Bill

Hi Bill,

My question is about distribution. If a great video is made and no one knows about it does it make any money? Without one of the big names (Tuanton (sp) etc.) can you get into the stores and magazines?

I hope that this works out. Remember the importance of first impressions. All following sales will depend somewhat on the quality and reviews of this one.

Just mythoughts,
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Video

Bill,

Being from the mountains of Western North Carolina, and president of our local AAW chapter I can see the value of your proposed turning video to our club. Most of us harvest our turning stock from the hardwoods that grow about us...So, I can see the value from the tree to the lathe and then a finish bowl as being a valuable turning lesson.

We will buy it if you make it, and add to our club's library to share with our members.

Ted Okolichany
    President Western North Carolina Woodturners Inc.
    Cashiers, N.C.

I think you have a great reputation and are highly reguarded with the burgening ranks of woodturners.

I would suggest that you ask some of the woodturners who have made vedios. I am not sure what your goal for a vedio is. After you talk with David Ellsworth, Bob Rosand or John Jordan you might have a good idea of what to expect.

Good Luck
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

Bill, my own instructional video library is embarassingly small. One or more produced by you would be a very welcome addition! Go for it!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

You betcha' dupa!

Bill,
    I would personally buy one just to keep as a reference. There is so much that goes on during one of your classes that it would be nice to have it "recorded".

You're going to throw some of your famous humor in there as well, right? Just some one liners every now and again to make sure we're all listening.

I can see it now,
    Live from the 5 Barns complex in Kutztown PA, it's;
    Turn a Bowl With Bill Grumbine
    "From Log to Lathe"

A Pink Tu-tu production

See ya around,
    Dominic Greco