Thread: Engraving Travertine Tile

Engraving Travertine Tile

When I went to the tile store yesterday and picked up a piece of marble to play with Photograv on, the guy kept asking me about what I was doing and as I was explaining, he kept asking "could you do this, could you do that" and he seemed to get excited about it all. After I paid for the tile, he said "hey, wait, this might be good for you" and he started walking me all over the showroom showing me a variety of dark tiles. I explained the whole granite vs. marble thing to him, and he took me to a beautiful piece of very dark travertine tile.

He said it's a limestone or sandstone (shows how well I was listening) based product. He asked if I could use it and I told him I didn't know, but I'd check.

Anyone ever do any photos on darker travertine? I'll pick up a piece next time I'm there if no one's messed with it, and report back.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Scott ,
    I have used both light and dark, normally I do a scrimshaw process with it. Works great , being harder than laser-marble and softer than the granite you can get some great results.
    Garry McKinney
    A new day is a new chance.

Travertine

Scott,
    We have some friends in Florida who run a very successful sign shop, they recently purchased an engraver and that's what prompted us to do the same. Anyway, they did this little sample for us while were there. It's travertine and the letters are (obviously) sunk in, but in this scan they look like they are popping out. Anyway, it engraves with color fill wonderfully. By the way, "The Chigger Hill Boys & Terri" is the Gospel Bluegrass band I play in.

Link to full size image..
    Last edited by Ricky Gore; 01-03-2008 at 9:10 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Epilog Helix 24 - 35W, Rotary Attachment, Corel X3, Adobe CS2

Ricky

That is a great shot but the size distorts the thread. Can you re-do it so it fits within the normal posts?

Thanks,
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Ooops

Is that one ok?

Ricky

That's beautiful. What would you think the depth of the engraving was?

Thanks for making the change.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Anyone know what tools are used to machine the travertine tiles - the beveled edges, for example. And what is used to polish the cut edges. I guess a regular tile cutting saw would do the overall sizing. Also, any ideas for what products to use for the color fill. Thanks, Pete

Travertine

Mike,
    The depth is probably not more than a 16th, but the nature of this tile leaves a texture inside (I guess because it has different levels of density?) But it reminds me of a Spanish Lace Stucco texture. YOu have to look at the high res image to see it. They have a 60 watt Accuris Laser Engraver, not sure of the settings, I'll ask about that.

Peter,
    Well, when my friends did this sample, it was actually longer than what you see. He then went out into the shop and cut and beveled it in just a couple minutes, and it looked like it does there. I have a call in to them so I can ask, but I'm not sure what they use for the edges. I know they used a wet saw / tile saw to cut it. I'll also ask about the color fill and post that as well.

Picked up a couple of pieces of the dark travertine I mentioned earlier. Looks just like slate but engraves just like marble.

Here's a sample. It's about a 5 1/2" x 8" graphic.

Click to enlarge
    Travertine.jpg
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Scott ,

nice job. Came out real well. The lighter style is really nice as well.
    Garry McKinney
    A new day is a new chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Meacham View Post
    Anyone know what tools are used to machine the travertine tiles - the beveled edges, for example. And what is used to polish the cut edges. I guess a regular tile cutting saw would do the overall sizing. Also, any ideas for what products to use for the color fill. Thanks, Pete
    Peter,
    My friend said he just used a wet tile saw to cut, a belt sander to bevel the edge & spray paint to color fill. Not very technical I know, but that's what he said.

Thanks,
    Ricky

Thanks Ricky, appreciate the information. I have a lot of travertine tiles left over from our recent tile job at the house and this looks like a good way to use them up. Thanks again, Pete