Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The chair plans I couldn't find.

The chair plans I couldn't find.

I never was able to find the plans for this little chair, I did have a picture of it with my daughter setting in one when she was little. I took that picture and used it as a starting point.

This is the prototype and I will be making one out of redwood in the near future. I think I will use brass screws to hold it all together.

The seat pulls out and slides in the back for a nice neat little package. My kids loved it and just wore the one they had out.

This is a quick little project if you have some little kids around that need a chair.

P1013607.jpg P1013608.jpg

P1013609.jpg P1013610.jpg

Bill - that's a great little chair. I have a copy of some old delta shop notes from the 60's that has a similar version in it. I will see if I can dig it up and post a pdf of it. I believe that the version I saw has both an adult and child version.

Are you going to pattern route the frames or cut with a bandsaw? The redwood should work easily enough and be light for the kids to carry.

- Rob
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

That's a very kewel design!! Nice!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Wright View Post
    Bill - that's a great little chair. I have a copy of some old delta shop notes from the 60's that has a similar version in it. I will see if I can dig it up and post a pdf of it. I believe that the version I saw has both an adult and child version.

Are you going to pattern route the frames or cut with a bandsaw? The redwood should work easily enough and be light for the kids to carry.

- Rob
    That would be great if you can find the plans, I have just been flying by the seat of my pants.
    I did move the support board a little which made the seat come down some and it looks a lot better that way.

I just made some patterns from MDF and and cut them with the jig saw, I would love to have a band saw to do it but just don't have one yet. I then clean them up with the spindle sander.
    Then I use those to layout the frames and used the spindle sander to clean them up. The I put a 1/4 inch round over on all edges.

5. Very nice! Could you post some general dimensions?

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Earls View Post
    Very nice! Could you post some general dimensions?
    Hope this helps.

It is all 3/4 inch stock

The chair is 20 inches tall.

The cross rungs are 2 1/4 x 12 inches long.

kids chair.jpg

Blog Entries
    That is really neat!!!!
    Have a Nice Day!

Blog Entries
    I have seen Scott Philips (The American Woodshop)build a chair VERY similar in form and function. His was a copy of some places chairs I can't remember now. His looked lighter weight, thinner frame, smaller slats,if I recall correctly, look at his website maybe you can find info there.
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    That would be great if you can find the plans, I have just been flying by the seat of my pants.
    I did move the support board a little which made the seat come down some and it looks a lot better that way.

I just made some patterns from MDF and and cut them with the jig saw, I would love to have a band saw to do it but just don't have one yet. I then clean them up with the spindle sander.
    Then I use those to layout the frames and used the spindle sander to clean them up. The I put a 1/4 inch round over on all edges.
    Bill,

Like the chairs, are the seat and back attached to each other? Also now that you have a template use it as a guide for a flush cut router bit. Bit doesn't have to cut the whole thickness, just do a second pass. Also some double side tape or clamp half at a time. You may not need to sand the edges with this technique, just round the edges over a little.

I built several of these plus a settee. I found the plans on a boy scout project website a couple of years ago. The ones I built were adult size. I am going out of town today and will look for the plans when I get back. If I find them, I will post 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Stahl View Post
    Bill,

Like the chairs, are the seat and back attached to each other? Also now that you have a template use it as a guide for a flush cut router bit. Bit doesn't have to cut the whole thickness, just do a second pass. Also some double side tape or clamp half at a time. You may not need to sand the edges with this technique, just round the edges over a little.
    The seat and the back are not connected in any way. You just pull the seat out and it slides in the back for storage.

I was going to use the router but after I had it all taped up and did a dry run it just didn't feel right going around the ends so I just cut them out with the jig saw. I am sure it could be done with the router but the ends looked like it would be kind of a climb cut and I just didn't want to take the chance of it flying across the room. I think it is my skill level with the router table at this point.

Bill,

If it is of any help, I do have a complete discription on how to build a beach chair. I' ve found it somewhere on the Internet.

You can find it on:

Part 1: http://www.canadianhomeworkshop.com/...ch_chair.shtml

Part 2: http://www.canadianhomeworkshop.com/...h_chair2.shtml

Have a good build, I like to build one this year for my girlfriend.
    Erik
    The Netherlands

The seat and the back are not connected in any way. You just pull the seat out and it slides in the back for storage.

I was going to use the router but after I had it all taped up and did a dry run it just didn't feel right going around the ends so I just cut them out with the jig saw. I am sure it could be done with the router but the ends looked like it would be kind of a climb cut and I just didn't want to take the chance of it flying across the room. I think it is my skill level with the router table at this point.
    Bill,

Sorry I wasn't clean on what I meant. You still cut them with a jig saw close to the line, then put the template on and use the router to clean the edge up. With a starting pin it's easy on a router table. Whatever works for you is the best method though, just throwing my 2 cents in.

Bill - these are EXACTLY like the plans in the book I have at home - Rob

http://www.scouters.us/homecha.html
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

Thats a real good idea.