Thread: Trash can separators

Trash can separators

There have been some discussions about dust collection separators, I have owned this one for years and it seems to work ok. Having only used this one, I am not sure if there are models that work better or not.

The ports on many dust separators are obviously inlet and outlet, like the ones at Lee Valley. The one that I have it is not so clear. Does it matter with the W1049 dust separator, which port is to be connected to the tool and which one to the DC?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

I think it does matter. The dust has to be sucked into the separator in a manner to encourage it to cyclone. I haven't seen the bottom of the separator, but I'd bet one of the 'inlet's' has an elbow that directs it around the can. The other inlet would be just a straight connection into the lid.

The straight connection should go to the dc. The elbow shld go to the business end of the hose.

I have one also it does not seem to matter which side you use.

I have that exact lid. The main things that I learned.. Get a good thick (3/8" x 1") rubberized weatherstripping (the black sponge type) and use that as the seal. I epoxied connectors to the openings for an airtight seal. If you turn on the DC, plug the intake hole to the lid, pick up the lid and the can doesn't stay attached, you need a better seal.
    I did rig up some adjustable 90 degree elbows and attached them under the lid to the exhaust port to draw the exhaust air from the center of the drum..but can't really tell you if that made a difference converting this into a poor man's cyclone.
    After setting this up, I have never had to empty the DC bag while I have had to empty the can 3 times.

I have written the manufacture and I will see if they reply and let you know what they say (if they reply)

I'm not sure why it would matter, both sides look the same.

Yuo might want to make your own. Here is a link to Phil's design that seems to get great results.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=69765
    War Eagle!

Amazing alternative...

My recollection is that there's no extension or baffle below the top surface on your separator. If so, it seems to me like it wouldn't make any difference which is in or out.

I haven't done this yet but it really impresses me. You might want to check it out - DIY Separator . My guess would be it might be worth trying with your top, although a center outlet would obviously be preferable. And your picture looks like it might be possible.

And this link shows the design working with a HF DC and 4" pipe.

Blog Entries
    The Jet, your style and LV ones look like they would put less of a hit on the CFM. I have the type with an elbow inside and it puts quite a hit on my little DC . . . but I still love it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hobkirk View Post
    My recollection is that there's no extension or baffle below the top surface on your separator. If so, it seems to me like it wouldn't make any difference which is in or out.

I haven't done this yet but it really impresses me. You might want to check it out - DIY Separator . My guess would be it might be worth trying with your top, although a center outlet would obviously be preferable. And your picture looks like it might be possible.

And this link shows the design working with a HF DC and 4" pipe.
    Thanks,
    It was Phil's work that got me thinking about my trash can separator.