Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiger Maple Picture Frame w/pics

Tiger Maple Picture Frame w/pics

Hello everyone,

I haven't done a whole lot of posting lately as most of my time has been taken up at church. Sorry about that. I certainly have enjoyed looking over the many projects you guys have posted.

I'm right in the middle of building a modular entertainment center but stepped back from that to build this picture frame for my wife. I've never built one of these before and was amazed at how easy this one was. I saw some plans in Wood magazine and decided to pop this one out.

The woodworking on this fame isn't the best (note the gaps on the back). Oh well. I'm not too bothered by that. The gaps actually help get the 1/8" hardboard out. That's my story, anyway, and I'm sticking to it I got really acquainted with my relatively new Performax sanding this figured maple. I don’t know how I did this before the ole’Performax came to town.

I slopped some BLO on the frame for a finish and called it good - at least for now. I'll probably spray some lacquer when I finish the entertainment center. Anyway, maybe some of you can whip one of these out as well. It only took me three hours - and that was with the slow sanding process of the Performax.

Jason
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice. Nice simple design, and the curly looks great!

DonnieR

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis

Thumbs up

As Always Jason
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Issue?

Jason,
    Very cool! What issue of Wood was that frame listed in?

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Starosta
    Jason,

Keith
    Dude, I am sick of those frames.........

I had to make 20 for christmas presents. Shipped them to the UK and they love.

Seriously, I really like them and they are fun to make. I actually have a BUNCH of Xeroxed copies of the plan hanging in my shop coz I know Im gonna have build some more. The bigger ones are fun too....

Nice job....

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Starosta
    Jason,

Keith
    Keith, thanks. The plan is in the December 2003 issue, page 112.

Very nice Jason! Nice use of wood. I like the square pegs too.

I like 'em! I saw the plan in Wood mag and just brushed over it. I'll probably make some big ones so that I can put in one of those mats for mulitple pics.

Stan
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Gorgeous, Jason. That tiger maple is outstanding and really works nicely for this frame...and who cares what it looks like on the back? The front is what counts and only a woodworker (especially the one who did the work) would be critical or even notice those tiny gaps!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jason,

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Tuinstra
    Hello everyone,

I haven't done a whole lot of posting lately as most of my time has been taken up at church. Sorry about that. I certainly have enjoyed looking over the many projects you guys have posted.

I'm right in the middle of building a modular entertainment center but stepped back from that to build this picture frame for my wife. I've never built one of these before and was amazed at how easy this one was. I saw some plans in Wood magazine and decided to pop this one out.

The woodworking on this fame isn't the best (note the gaps on the back). Oh well. I'm not too bothered by that. The gaps actually help get the 1/8" hardboard out. That's my story, anyway, and I'm sticking to it I got really acquainted with my relatively new Performax sanding this figured maple. I don’t know how I did this before the ole’Performax came to town.

I slopped some BLO on the frame for a finish and called it good - at least for now. I'll probably spray some lacquer when I finish the entertainment center. Anyway, maybe some of you can whip one of these out as well. It only took me three hours - and that was with the slow sanding process of the Performax.

Jason
    Great frame, wonderful workmanship--she should be proud.
    Be Blessed!

Great frame Jason! Even better is that little guy with the Holland, Mi lighthouse in the background
    Jim Stastny ~ Damascus, Maryland
    A poor workman blames his tools

The back doesn't count! But the front does, and it looks great. Very nice job.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Thumbs up

Jason........simple lines.....beautiful wood ......great workmanship!

Jason,

Like Stan I also read through the article but the choice of wood in the magazine article left me with a Blah type feeling. I really like your frame. For some reason it didn't even occur to me to think about making the frame out of something else.

Very nice. I'll have to give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stastny
    Great frame Jason! Even better is that little guy with the Holland, Mi lighthouse in the background
    Jim, you don't miss a thing, do you? Yep, another Holland picture. Ah, to be at the beach again Is winter over yet?