Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not the normal SMC project, but fun

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Marcade View Post
    I still have my prize winning pinewood derby car from 1975.
    I wish I still had mine. It would have been from 1964-65. Back when the axle struts were separate pieces of wood.
    But that's why I packed all 15 of my 3 sons cars up. In fact, keepsake boxes for those cars are 3 of the projects on my WW list.
    I'm a bit undecided as to whether to make the boxes out of pine as in PineWood Derby, or to use some of the Bradford Pear, 'cause it finishes out like Cherry and looks great.
    Last edited by David Epperson; 01-07-2008 at 2:31 PM.
    The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
    - Marcus Aurelius ---------------------------------------- ------------- [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

David, I like that idea. I don't have any of my Pinewood Derby cars from when I was a kid, but sometimes wish I did. Since this is my son's first PWD I think I'll start a tradition.

Speaking of starting traditions, check this out. First time and we won! It was close and at the end there was a tie for first place so we had a run off. As it turns out, he only lost one race and it was to a car that really didn't do too well overall so I suspect there was something goofy with how the car was placed in the starting block or something. The boy he was tied with only lost one race and it was to Christian.

There were four cars that were clearly faster than the rest of the pack, and the races between them were always close. Then there was a big group in the middle. There were also two cars that lost most of their races. It was nice to win, but we found ourselves cheering and hoping that those two would pull out a win...

Anyway, since the rule around here is no pics, it didn't happen, here's a pic.

Attached Images Attached Images
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

Congrats to you and the smiling winner! That's really something to be proud of!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Congratulations. It's fun to participate - Winning is just the gravy, But ain't it nice.
    Nice collection of arrow points that boy has also.
    Keep it fun and be amazed at what he retains of it. It's the values much more than the skills.
    The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
    - Marcus Aurelius ---------------------------------------- ------------- [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Priceless
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.