Thread: Interesting subtle round profile

Interesting subtle round profile

I saw a cabinet door that I thought was very interesting, and I was very curious how the profile on the rails and stile was done.
    If you looked at the cross section of the rails and stiles you would see a subtle rounded profile that is approximately 2" wide.
    I have looked for router bits that would create that rounded profile but to no avail am I missing something, is this some type of custom bit?
    Again the key to this is that it is subtle and wide, any guesses?

Here is a link to a cabinet door that is close to what I saw just ignore the fancy cuts on the sides of the rail and stiles I am only curious about the round center of the stiles and rails

http://thomasvillecabinetry.com/Prod...aspx?DSFID=450

More than likely a shaper bit , custom ground. That would be my guess as to how they make it. I'd bet most , if not all of that detail is cut in one pass using a power fed shaper.

Looks like the door is mitered so my guess is with some kind of molder. Probably a CNC controlled 6 head costing around $200 K.

That would be a tough one to duplicate but using a bunch of different bit set ups I bet it could be done.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

On a production line, the stock was probably shaped by a big molder which would be making miles of the stuff. Some small shops have a molder-shaper like the Williams & Hussey or the Shop-Fox. Another approach for a small shop might be a reversable crown molding cutter. Here's one example: http://www.amanatool.com/routerbits/...der-54410.html . This one won't exactly cut your example profile, but perhaps you can find another bit like this.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 01-06-2008 at 11:48 AM.

Here's what you're looking for

Google this exact text:
    ======================================
    "My first finished project" sort of dartboard cabinet
    ======================================

You'll get one hit. Looks like the same profile.

I was going to say picture frame moulding. Chris, nice dart board! And welcome to the Creek!!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Hey Jim!

I can't take credit for the dart board. It's just a molding that I admired so when I saw this post, I had to compare the two. Low and behold...

You guys are awesome

Chris, that looks identical to what I am looking for thank you so much, I also like the crown molding bit, now I have a lot to go on
    Thank you all very much