Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LV Block Plane Push Handle, Any Good?

LV Block Plane Push Handle, Any Good?

I finally decided on buying this plane and was intrigued by the optional push handle, what they call a "tote". Just can't decide on whether a handle for a plane this small would be of benefit. There are times when I have trouble pushing my LN 102 which is even smaller and thought maybe . . . ?

Anybody got one and like to comment?05p2217s1.jpg
    Last edited by Harvey Pascoe; 09-08-2011 at 11:41 AM.

Blog Entries
    I have it and the front knob and use it more with it on than off. Now having some experience, would go with the ball-tail and knob although, the tote give you better lateral control for things that benefit from it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have not used it, but when I just tried it at a show, it felt great to my hands.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I have the front knob which I didn't like at first but has really grown on my lately - haven't used the handle but folks seem to like it a lot. The tote and knob are really designed to convert it to a small smoother. You don't really need the tote, as the plane is big enough that you can get a lot of pressure and a good grip just by placing your hand on the back.

It's kinda nice just to leave the front knob on without the tote since it sorta gives you the best of both a small smoother and a block (I'm lazy and don't like changing things around). I had originally planned to buy the tote and still might, but really don't think I'd use it all that much - I'm sure its great, but just don't think I'd bother to take it on an off.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 09-08-2011 at 11:47 AM. Reason: typos

I repeatedly have to size and smooth shop veneered beveled box top frames (1" x 1" x 12") which are held in a jig for planing, but have trouble controling the plane. I figured the handles would make for better control. Sounds like it will as I work with some pretty tough tropicals.

While I like my LN 102, I'm not too happy with the excessive slack in the blade adjuster and figure the LV adjuster is a LOT better (I have other LV planes).

BTW - Rob Lee recommends the small tote (over the ball tail or large tote) for most people - the description implies that most would probably prefer the large and when they first designed the totes the small was specifically intended for people with smaller than average hands. However, what they have found is that most people prefer the small, and find that it gives them more control.

I had it and did not like it. I don't remember why.

Sounds like a winner, I just ordered it. Thanks, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Pascoe View Post
    Sounds like a winner, I just ordered it. Thanks, guys.
    Hi Harvey - thanks for the order!

Cheers,

Rob
    (trying to figure out a new route home that'll miss the flooding on I-81 in PA, and NY....)

You have to love that! If I didn't already have every mythical future dollar I might have to spend on tools mentally committed to LV, a post like this would do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi Harvey - thanks for the order!

Cheers,

Rob
    (trying to figure out a new route home that'll miss the flooding on I-81 in PA, and NY....)

11. Anyone know if the LV handle with work with other low-angle block planes? I've got one of the newer Stanley SW 60 1/2s I received as a gift, and this would be a nice enhancement to it...

No it doesn't work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Takeuchi View Post
    No it doesn't work.
    +1. The LV plane body is designed and machined with the handle in mind. Other planes would not accept the screws.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    +1. The LV plane body is designed and machined with the handle in mind. Other planes would not accept the screws.
    Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll investigate whether I can cut/tap/modify some steel stock I've got lying around to make a mount to accommodate a handle. I'm already looking at developing some kind of baseplate I can mount one of my low-angle planes to in order to make it rock-solid/heavy for shooting, since my LAs consist of a block and a jointer.

Patrick Leach does sell something similar that works with some other block planes

http://www.supertool.com/bphandle.htm

I don't know if it'd work on their new 60 1/2 planes, and it's also more pricey, but it might give you an idea.