Thread: Any plans available for plow plane

Any plans available for plow plane

Hi all. Just curious if anyone has seen plans for building a simple (or complicated) plow plane. Doesn't have to be the worlds most complicated but it seemed like it might be an interesting project to dabble in...

Thanks!

Rick

Making Traditional Wooden Planes by John M Whelan, Astragal Press has plans for a couple of different designs.

Also, go to William's plane site. There's an article on making plow planes:

http://planemaker.com/articles_plow_n_skated.html

It's not real descriptive but there's some good info and some good pictures.

The Old Street article basically explains why I personally will most likely never attempt making a skated plough plane. I do not even come close to having the ability to do what is required of the irons in such a plough. It sounds as if they really put a ton of time and work into getting these irons perfectly fit for the plane. I posted a thread a few days back about plough plane recomendations and decided that I will probably get the Veritas version for now and save until I can afford Old Street's version or one of similar quality and make. Since I've been using planes I have always loved looking at a finely crafted plough and dreamt of owning one, similar to how many feel about owning an infill around here. An infill smoother would be wonderful but for some reason a beautiful plough has more appeal to me.

And the Fine woodworking versions are really a viable option as most grooves are a certain depth a certain distance away from the edge. I bet many people's ploughs remain on the same setting for the majority of their work.

I feel like making a plough iron is doable, but the issue becomes making a set of irons that are well matched... it'd certainly be a challenge making a proper plow plane, but if you got your hands on a matched set of irons, making the plane itself would be possible.

I think Matt Kinney had a similar article on FWW.

His were a simple 1/8" left and right set for drawer bottom grooves.
    LN supplied the iron, if my feeble memory serves.

You can find the article on the LN site. Look for the 1/8" blades; there's a link to a PDF of that article.