Thread: Question for Delta 22-580 planer owners

Question for Delta 22-580 planer owners

Hi, I just received my new planer and did the first part of the setup (just unpacking, removing the film, and installing the handles). Anyway, when I move the cutterhead up and particularly down, it makes some clicking noises and I can feel the handle sort of catch and release. Is this normal or is there something wrong with my planer? I poked around a little and at least some of the noise is from the chain on the bottom bumping the plastic cover guard but that doesn’t explain the “catching” feeling.

Thanks!

Mine sorta click's but seems pretty smooth. Stating the obvious, just in case, are the lock and the depth stop both completely released?

Quote Originally Posted by mike wacker View Post
    Mine sorta click's but seems pretty smooth. Stating the obvious, just in case, are the lock and the depth stop both completely released?
    What he said.

What he said, again
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Ditto the ditto's.

When I got mine out, one of the first things I did was wax the tables, after setting them to the correct height.
    This helps.

Normal

It's normal for this planer.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Darby View Post
    Ditto the ditto's.

When I got mine out, one of the first things I did was wax the tables, after setting them to the correct height.
    This helps.
    Waxing the tables scared the @#$% out of me. I thought there was something seriously wrong with the unit till I waxed it. Then I needed a catchers mit on the outfeed side.

Thanks for the replies. I've gotten a lot of replies both here and elsewhere that the clicking is normal. However, others have noted that the bottom chain connecting the cutterhead posts should not make contact with the plastic shroud, which mine does. I ordered this planer online, so I'd really prefer not to return it. If the only issue is a little extra noise, I can totally live with that. But I'm afraid it is the tip of the iceberg.

So, anyone else notice a lot contact between that chain and its shroud? Thanks for taking the time to help me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Micheline View Post
    So, anyone else notice a lot contact between that chain and its shroud? Thanks for taking the time to help me!!!
    It's normal. Chain touching the shroud will not harm anything. Take the shroud off and take a look to see how it works. That might give you more comfort knowing how things work.

Tom, you might find ths interesting.
    http://www.woodshopdemos.com/plan-pm.htm

Well, I know more about how it works now that I really wanted to. After looking at the chain on the bottom I'm pretty sure it is okay despite the fact that some have said that it shouldn't do that.

However, when I turned it on the blades and rollers didn't move. After a bit of fiddling & googling I found the drive belt and it was pretty much as loose as it can get. I tensioned the drive belt, got it all back together, and it planes really well now. Thanks again for all your input!

Tom
    -- Tom / Southwest Florida