Thread: Where can I get angle iron?

Where can I get angle iron?

Where can I get a 28" long piece of 1/4" thick piece of angle iron. It needs to be roughly wide enough to support a standard red brick. Any suggestions would be great.

Home Depot has angle for brick support over doors, windows etc, look in the masonry section.

I have bought misc metal parts from a local Iron & Metal recycling place that also sells sheet metal, alum, tubing, angle, etc and will sell to the general public. You might check your yellow pages to see if Philly has a similar type of place. My experience is their prices are better than HD or online.

For online places I just bought some alum tube from this place. Prices seem decent for small qty and shipping was fast.

http://www.speedymetals.com

I also have these places book marked but have never used them.

http://www.metalsdepot.com/
    http://www.onlinemetals.com/

Another idea is to call or even better stop in at a local welding/fabrication shop. What you are looking for might be scrap to them.

I am about 30 min. from philly and I usually get my metals from Fastenal, or find a local welding shop.

Check out metal recycling: i.e.; junk yards. I have spent hours rummaging around for treasures in a local yard that handles marine, manufacturing, ....... all sorts of stuff like 15 feet long hydraulic cylinders and 3 feet long cast steel chain links and 4-5 inch steel cable for tugs. They had been there for 60 years and they just sold out to developers to build condos( this is just south of downtown Seattle and Safeco and Quest fields{Mariners and Seahawks}). Gotta love the economy here. They got rid of all the fantistic treasures and just supply new stuff. I'm considering moving!!

Won't help now, but folks throw away bedframes all the time.

Check the Yellow Pages in your local phone directory. I've gotten metal from metal suppliers locally...from welding shops....and yes even....HD...
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Found it

I contacted a local building supply company that specializes in masonry and they had varying lengths of angle iron for lentils (sp?).

Thanks for all the suggestions! This is definiately the place to come for answers.

R,
    John V.