Thread: Kitchen Cabinet Makeover

Kitchen Cabinet Makeover

Hello all-
    I am planning on making new doors for this kitchen to dress it up a little. I will make painted rail & stile type doors (maybe with an arch!) and then was thinking about running a large crown molding around the top of the cabinets to add a bit of style w/o a lot of money. Now I am seeing the wasted space above these cabinets and wondering what else might be added to this area that might enhance it even more. Most kitchens I have seen have a soffit of sorts which closes off this space, but maybe this open area is a feature that i can somehow take advantage of. Building new small cabinets to fill the area doesn't seem to make sense because they would be difficult to reach. But open shelves for showing off turkey platters and copper pots doesn't sound too great either. Any ideas, photos or web links are appreciated. Thankyou

Attachment 78843

Attachment 78844
    Last edited by tom cooper; 01-07-2008 at 6:46 PM.

Cabinets in that area work well for items you don't use except on the odd holiday or something. I've seen the area built out and a plate rack installed there too. Another idea might be to put some indirect lighting there to bounce off the ceiling. If you don't like the open shelving for display items, how about putting them behind glass doors with interior lighting? Just a couple of ideas.