Thread: How do i install vertical Planks between studs?

How do i install vertical Planks between studs?

I am gonna attempt some wainscoting on a living room wall. It is knotty pine, 5.5 inches wide. I want to cut it 42 inches in length. How do i attach to the drywall between the studs? It is NOT tongue and groove Glue it?

Thanks

Dave
    Ridgid R4513 jobsite saw, Ridgid R4512 Table saw, Ridgid JP601 jointer/planer,
    Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust collector, Bosch 1617 EVSPK router, Bosch RA1181 router table, Rikon 10-326 Band saw
    Dewalt 735 planer, Fuji Q5Platinum HVLP,

If it's just cladding the existing wall, you can use construction adhesive for sure to hold up the vertical boards (quick stick type is helpful in that) and then the trim on top and bottom will hold it securely in place as those elements will get fastened to the studs.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim!
    Ridgid R4513 jobsite saw, Ridgid R4512 Table saw, Ridgid JP601 jointer/planer,
    Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust collector, Bosch 1617 EVSPK router, Bosch RA1181 router table, Rikon 10-326 Band saw
    Dewalt 735 planer, Fuji Q5Platinum HVLP,

I'd have to disagree with the glue only because I've done this several times and the big problem is the wood shrinkage which leaves gaps. So I imagine this could also compromise the glue.

Its very easy to fir 1x3 strips horizontally. I also recommend ship lapping to help with the gaps. If you don't want to do all the rabbetting, paint the wall and fir strips black so it doesn't show through *when the gaps appear*.

You end up with a nice thickness to apply a ledge cap which looks nice.

Blog Entries
    When I installed wainscoting in our dining room I had a similar issue. You can ail into the wall base plate and tack the top with a single nail (I used a 18 ga brad gun) into the dry wall to hold it temporarily. The chair rail I installed on top had a rabbet to overlap the tops of the vertical boards, so it was nailed into the studs and the rabbet holds the boards tight to the wall. The base molding will also get nailed into the studs an plate so the bottoms will be held tight as well. I would advise against glue because if you ever change your mind you will have to replace the dry wall because the glue will tear off the paper facing.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    I'd have to disagree with the glue only because I've done this several times and the big problem is the wood shrinkage which leaves gaps. So I imagine this could also compromise the glue.

Its very easy to fir 1x3 strips horizontally. I also recommend ship lapping to help with the gaps. If you don't want to do all the rabbetting, paint the wall and fir strips black so it doesn't show through *when the gaps appear*.

You end up with a nice thickness to apply a ledge cap which looks nice.
    The OP is asking for methods to attach wainscoting over drywall so horizontal blocking isn't in the picture. Construction adhesive would be my choice.

Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.