Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Worm drive vs. "regular" circular saw

I sorely hate to resuscitate such an old thread, but ...

My wife has a 30 yo Skil 77 worm drive that is her favorite circular saw. We're pulling our hair out trying to figure out what kind of lubricating oil goes into it. She says it's much heavier viscosity than a typical machine oil. The internuts has turned out to be useless on this one. Anyone know?

Thanks,

- Ed

Blog Entries

Worm Drive Saws

I prefer worm drive saws. As mentioned earlier I like to see the blade and the cut line. Also the power and long life of the tool.

Skil was a well known maker of these saws for decades but I think Bosch owns them now. I dont know that Skil tools are available anymore?

Good luck with your choice.

PHM

Your local Skil dealer does not carry it? It is a "special" type of lube. When I bought mine he said to grab the Makita oil, it's the same thing. That may not help you, since I know they are NOT available from your local BORG or *mart stores. Sears may be a reach if they carry it. If you buy it as a part from them it's probably a bit more than your dealer. But they are an option.

Why didn't you just start a new thread? Now you're going to get 25 more different responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Falis View Post
    I sorely hate to resuscitate such an old thread, but ...

My wife has a 30 yo Skil 77 worm drive that is her favorite circular saw. We're pulling our hair out trying to figure out what kind of lubricating oil goes into it. She says it's much heavier viscosity than a typical machine oil. The internuts has turned out to be useless on this one. Anyone know?

Thanks,

- Ed
    Google search of "skil gear oil" found several sources for Skil brand Wormdrive Gear Oil Model # 80111.
    I would just use a gear oil from any local auto-parts store. Any warty on saw was expired about 29 years ago so why pay for brand name.

Worm drive will typically be heavier than the sidewinder. Some sidewinders have the blade on the left. Porter Cables Saw Boss comes to mind. Unless you need the torque and continuous duty of a worm drive, I would get a "regular" circular saw with a left side blade

I have a worm drive DeWalt that I picked up at an auction. It has the motor mounted in a more vertical position. This makes the saw a bit shorter than other brands, and feels less heavy when using one handed.

John

Ramsey Ramco Guest
    Porter cable makes a lightweight compact saw that has the blade on the left side, its not the new cheap porter cable the saw runs somewhere around the $200 range but its very powerful and cuts a 2x4 at a 45 degree angle no problem.

I've used both and prefer a wormy. The weight works to your advantage, especially during long rip cuts.

Borrow or rent one to see if you like it before you buy.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hancock View Post
    What are the pros/cons of a worm drive saw vs a regular circular saw? I have always used my B&D circa 1971 and never used a worm drive. I am getting ready to replace my circular saw with something less than 40 years old.

Thoughts?

I am not a pro, just a dedicated weekend warrior that has no fear tackling just about anything from framing to landscaping to deck building.

Thanks,

Mike

I bought a Skil 77, new, in the box, off the back of a pick up truck, in the early 80's. Paid $35.00. Needed asbestos gloves to handle it!
    Anyhow, it has done plenty of framing in the past and I really like it's heft and accuracy. Gravity is it's friend.
    Now, at my advanced age, breaking down sheet goods is it's only function. With a good Tenryu blade, it's a joy to use.
    Skil still makes the gear oil. Bought some 5-6 months ago.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

Thanks for the tips on the gear oil.

- Ed

I've used a worm drive for forty years. For a right handed person, having the blade on the left side is perfect. I also own a couple of Porter-Cable saw boss circular saws. They have the best of both worlds. Blade is on the left and light weight. Since I no longer build large things like houses, I'm more apt to pick up the lighter saw for casual use. Used it last summer to build a deck for a friend and it worked just beautifully. In terms of tracking, the most important aspect is the skill of the user.

I have an old skill worm drive that my father in law gave me. It is heavy, so I would not want to use it overhead, but the power is impressive, if not intimidating. My neighbor was using a consumer grade skill saw to cut paver's for his driveway. When his on/off switch failed, I loaned him the worm drive. Even after I repaired his saw, it was a bear to get him to return it! He just keep saying, " it is so powerful! I can cut anything. You know it is here, so you can use it if you really need to."
    It can make a clean cut, but at my house, it is more likely to be on the same project as my Tiger Saw. I used it to remove a deck. Even with an old blade, little things like nails, and binding the blade in the kerf only changed the sound, not the cutting. A good Tim Allen tool.
    Just cut off the parts that don't look like a bowl...

Worm drive vs. "regular" circular saw

I've had my Skil 77 for a long time. My impressions:

1. Yes, it's heavy.
    2. Heavy is often good: a. when you can let the saw "fall" through the cut of a framing board. b. when cutting straight free-hand--because of all the mass it just seems to want to go straight. Much nicer than my old "regular" Skilsaw.
    3. Viewing the blade while cutting is such a nice feature. Last week I had to use a "regular" circular saw and found it frustrating to see where I was going.
    4. I appreciate heavy-duty macho tools and this one qualifies well.

Other than my portable power planer and super heavy 1/2" drill, there is no tool less important in my shop than a circular saw.

It could get stolen and I wouldn't notice it for months.

Now, if you are building a house, that's a different story. I'm a fan of my light weight makita "regular saw". It's light and durable. It's pushing 20 years old, built many a house and is as good as new.

-Steve

Worm-drives are great saws....IF....you are have great upper-body strength! I doubt you could wear one out in your lifetime! But, hefting it, one-handed is just out of the question for me, as in cutting 2x's for framing. For breaking down sheetgoods a WD would be great.

But, a professional grade, sidewinder does everything I need to do with a circular saw. Construction lumber is just not that hard to cut! Besides, I am left-handed, and WD's blade is out of sight for me.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!