Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What tools are you planning on buying this year?

What tools are you planning on buying this year?

It is early enough in the year, I wondered what tools are you planning on buying (and if and for what specific project)?

I am hoping to revisit this at the end of the year, and see, if you got the project done, and has the tool(s), done what you thought/needed it/them to. Also for a list of IMPULSE tools you bought (to compare planned to non planned).

Maybe it wil help stop some procrastionation from us (I am not the only one ).

I will go first.
    I was wanting a drum sander, or the Stockroom supply v sander. Since I also would like to improve with handplanes, I figure I am going to go with the V sander, and use a power planer and handplanes for thicknessing.
    My only other planned purchases, currently are a Mini Cyclone (trying mostly EZ this year, since I have been using it more), and either a Big foot saw, or the Makita 5008 MGA.

I'm seriously considering a drum sander and possibly an osc. spindle sander.

Projects are related to a rocking chair I'm working on as well as a desire to try and make finishing my projects easier.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mountain.
    Pretty well stocked, but keeping my eye open for a decent small router/laminate trimmer - not at all happy with the junk on the market now. I hear Festool has one in the works, keeping my fingers crossed. Hoping for accuracy, visibility, and ease of adjustment.

Thumbs up Jet Air Filtration

I just bought a Jet AFS-1000B air filter from Woodcraft. 3 speed, remote control. I unpacked it this evening and plugged it in while it sat on the work bench. My brother bought the same one 6 months ago and loves it. His wife was complaining about dust in the house and now she is happy. I am really picky about dust control on all of my power tools including RO and belt sanders and discuit joiners but was getting too much dust up my noise and drying out my eyes.

check out my other projects at my web site; In The Wood Shop www.peterspirito.com
    Last edited by Peter M. Spirito; 01-10-2008 at 11:08 PM. Reason: incorrect UBB code

Not quite woodworking, as I'm pretty happy with where I'm at now, but I'd like to get a better welder. Also an air filtration system would be nice. Oh, and a lift for the truck.

clearvue cyclone.

My wife is insisting that I buy an 8" jointer. It's the last major tool I need for my shop and she wants me to get it outfitted before we retire in 2009.

Like a shop is ever totally outfitted!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Lucky man. I usually have to beg my wife for a new tool

Goal for this year is to get rid (to the extent possible) of dust in my shop. Working on cyclone install right now and some Festool is likely next. Might be an expensive year.

Cyclone - probably Clearvue - and ductwork as soon as the shop is done (soon now).

Spindle sander - maybe.

And I am thinking of going to separates from my MM combo. Now that the shop will afford me the room. Dunno yet for sure, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Brickey View Post
    I'm seriously considering a drum sander and possibly an osc. spindle sander.

Projects are related to a rocking chair I'm working on as well as a desire to try and make finishing my projects easier.

Brodie, what kind of rocking chair are you going to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Antoniewicz View Post
    Brodie, what kind of rocking chair are you going to do?
    I'm starting a Hal Taylor rocking chair. I'm using soft curly maple for my wood. It'll be for my niece who is due in late February.

Regards,

Brodie

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Antoniewicz View Post
    ...And I am thinking of going to separates from my MM combo. Now that the shop will afford me the room. Dunno yet for sure, though.
    I went from a MM CU300 Smart to a Sawstop TS with Jessem slider, Grizzly 8" jointer and 15" planer (both with carbide cutters) and Festool Domino (in lieu of MM's mortiser). For what I do (little sheet goods) and way I like to work, it's a much better setup, and actually makes better use of my 24' x 24' shop space.

On December 31 I bought Grizzly's baby drum sander (so that almost counts for 2008), and probably will get a 12" or larger disc sander, for segmented woodturning, which I'm keen to try.

Cary

Well, I just got a steelcity drillpress and 18"BS (with a mobile base for each as a birthday gift from the tool store), a nice CMT dado set and a couple of veritas planes and bits. I hope to get a woodrat sometime soon and perhaps a set of lie nielson chisels.

What, me, gloat?

Oh yeah, and I just finished setting up a new 24" iMac :-)
    Smile. It worries the other guy.

15. Looked up Hal's website. Nice Chair! Have you done one before? $275 for the plans sounds like a deal.

I took the rocking chair at William Ng's class. It was almost $1K and then more for the templates. But I needed to have that environment to learn. I had not done any hand shaping or anything even close to that kind of work - not even a chair - before. Doing that chair has just completely expanded my capabilities. It is a Maloof style chair, and I did it for my wife who delivered our first/only child the same week I finished. Nothing like a deadline ...

Take a look:
    http://antoniew.avradionet.com/

at the bottom are the chair pics. (you can tell I am no website designer :-)

Have fun with your rocker project, and have fun with your neice!

Bob