Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What tools are you planning on buying this year?

1. Quote Originally Posted by Cary Swoveland View Post
    I went from a MM CU300 Smart to a Sawstop TS with Jessem slider, Grizzly 8" jointer and 15" planer (both with carbide cutters) and Festool Domino (in lieu of MM's mortiser). For what I do (little sheet goods) and way I like to work, it's a much better setup, and actually makes better use of my 24' x 24' shop space.

On December 31 I bought Grizzly's baby drum sander (so that almost counts for 2008), and probably will get a 12" or larger disc sander, for segmented woodturning, which I'm keen to try.

Cary

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds great. I will keep churning it over in my head.

Regards,

Bob A.

2. My goodness! Tim Rowledge! There's a name from back in my Robland LX31 days! Good to hear from you again!

Bob A.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Antoniewicz View Post
    Looked up Hal's website. Nice Chair! Have you done one before? $275 for the plans sounds like a deal.

I took the rocking chair at William Ng's class. It was almost $1K and then more for the templates. But I needed to have that environment to learn. I had not done any hand shaping or anything even close to that kind of work - not even a chair - before. Doing that chair has just completely expanded my capabilities. It is a Maloof style chair, and I did it for my wife who delivered our first/only child the same week I finished. Nothing like a deadline ...

Take a look:
    http://antoniew.avradionet.com/

at the bottom are the chair pics. (you can tell I am no website designer :-)

Have fun with your rocker project, and have fun with your neice!

Bob
    Bob,

Its a gorgeous chair. You did a great job. I haven't done a chair yet only smaller projects and turnings.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

Im pretty set, but just got a Grizzly G0548 dust collector. That should suck things up nicely.

No plans really other than a domino, but I'll be looking for deals on nice planes and chisels. I plan on lumber being the largest shop purchases I make this year.

A more powerful dust collector and another handtool to add to my repertoire of Festool system - probably a plunge router to replace my Porter Cable.
    “A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist." - Louis Nizer

G0548 dust collector soon, and then a benchtop mortiser. That should do me well for a while. Just got the 17" GO513X2 bandsaw, so not going to have much luck convincing my wife i need any more tools, though she does swear that i intentionally drug in extra dust lately so i could sell her on getting a DC.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Cool

That's an interesting question Randal. I noticed that like most others who have responded you are already procrastinating because you didn'd say what "specific project" you're planning to make."

I have a unique situation. SWMBO last year let me buy "all" the major tools for my shop (table saw, band saw, jointer, planer, spindle/belt sander, 12" drill press, ROS, 1 hp DC, ShopVac, Dust Deputy - already had two routers). This year I have already bought a Festool ROS 125 with Christmas money. Yes there are some more tools like a drum sander that I "need," but they will have to wait until we move within the next few years and I'll have room for them.

My planned projects include a trophy base of zebra wood and walnut that needs to be made by March and some occasional tables/sculpture stands. The tables will be made from different wood that I already have -- Myrtle wood from Oregon - quilted maple top & shelf/walnut legs and rails - curly cherry. No, I don't think that I'll get them all done by the end of the year, but that's my plan. Since I retire in June after 37 years of teaching, I will definitely have more time than I do right now.
    Last edited by Don Bullock; 01-11-2008 at 8:06 AM.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Grizzly G0574 edge belt sander with fingerboard radiusing attachment;

Grizzly G0453 15" planer;

Penn State Temp142CX cyclone;

Eaton 3HP 3cyl. 60gal. compressor.
    Jack Briggs
    Briggs Guitars

First, some context: for the last couple years, my "shop" has been the back porch, complete with Workmate and assorted portable power tools. I've commandeered a roughly 11x11 bedroom for my new shop.

Currently before the budget committee are a Grizzly GO513X2 and the "2 HP" dust collector from HF. I'm waffling slightly on the bandsaw model (started out trying to decide between the 14" at HF at the GO555!).

Next up is a router table and at some point a drill press. That's about all the stationary tools I want in such a tiny shop, so the rest of the acquistions will be hand tools and router bits.
    “I don’t have a lot of tools because it doesn’t take many to make furniture.” - Rob Millard

Dust collection system.

Benchtop Planer.

My wife has agreed that if I pack a lunch to work, I can put $7 / day into my "Toy Box" that way I can save for each new toy.

I pre-bought a freud rip blade on credit. So far the Toy Box has $21 and an IOU for $42

Thinking about a Domino and maybe a J/P combo. Both will have to wait a while but maybe this summer. The Domino is particularly appealing because doing M&T joinery is not my favorite thing--so I basically don't unless I can't find another option. The J/P combo would I think save me some room over separate jointer and planer but it depends on how the real world reviews come back. About the only other thing it would get me is more face-jointing capability so it might not be worth the $$$.

An old band saw to restore. Probably a 36" crescent. I think the restoration will be a fun hobby in addition to all my other expensive dollar consuming activities

Well, I'm thinking of a whole bunch of stuff, but considering I just ordered by drum sander I am pretty well set, only upgrade I can think of would be a SC 18" BS over the 14" delta I have, but it can wait.
    So nothing major, probably a bunch of smaller stuff as I need it.

Projects are pretty basic, TV stand, kitchen cabinets, sideboard for dinning room and small cabinet for bathroom, that ought to take up most of the year.

And there's the required garage/shop cleaning, I still have stuff from many years ago that never gets used anymore, and that needs to find a different home.

Also getting back into tournament fishing part time, so I'll be buying more fishing stuff.

This all depends on how quick I win the lottery.

Al...hope springs eternal
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

14" Bandsaw, Drum sander, and belt sander. But I have a few other projects that must wrap up first so I can make room for any of them.