Thread: Woodsmith Shop TV show

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Woodsmith Shop TV show

I've been watching the new "Woodsmith Shop" TV series on PBS and must say I've been really enjoying it (we get it on the New Hampshire PBS station here in the Boston area). As somebody who works in television, I'm very impressed with the production value and the guys on the show are pretty great on-camera. The practice they got doing the "podcasts" on the magazine's website seems to have greatly prepared them for TV.

I can't help but think it's shot a little too much like a cooking show, however. Multiple cameras that just cut back and forth. Nothing over-the-shoulder, so they don't always go tight into the work to show you a lot of detail like The New Yankee Workshop does.

All-in-all I'd say this show definitely has a place on TV. I do hope, however, that instead of just a "TV" version of Woodsmith magazine, that they make the program a bit more project-focused at some point. Otherwise, I think they risk losing viewers in the long run.

Call me crazy, but don't most woodworkers, even beginners, want to see a piece of furniture get built? I like that they focus on the techniques a little more in-depth, but they're not really showing me anything I haven't already seen a-thousand times in the 6 or 7 woodworking magazines I already subscribe to. Some of the jigs and fixtures they build are cool to see, however. They really excel in that department. In fact, many (if not all) of their jigs are prettier than much of the "furniture" that I build.

Jason
    Last edited by Jason White; 01-12-2008 at 7:54 PM.

Woodsmithshop

Jason:
    We have had it here in IA for several months now. I agree with you about the slick production. I enjoy it but I usually forget to watch when it is on. Luckily it's on twice a week here. Friday at 6:30 and Saturday at 1:30. They usually have a different segment each time so if I think about it in time I watch both of them. I hope you continue to enjoy something from way out here in the sticks of Iowa.

Bob

3. Stealth gloat

I just got back from the Woodsmith Store in Des Moines today with a new SC 8" Industrial jointer. Haven't gotten anyone to help me lift it out of the truck yet, so it's parked in the shop where it's warm. Heck of a store.
    Steven

Steven:
    Where do you live? There has to be WWs that Can help unload the Jointer. I got the SC6"er a few months back from there. Thank Goodness I brought a friend to help. I live in Corning so if you're close let me know and maybe I can help. I'm sure you'll love the SC jointer. I have 5 of their large powertools.
    Bob

5. Quote Originally Posted by Robert foster View Post
    Steven:
    Where do you live? There has to be WWs that Can help unload the Jointer. I got the SC6"er a few months back from there. Thank Goodness I brought a friend to help. I live in Corning so if you're close let me know and maybe I can help. I'm sure you'll love the SC jointer. I have 5 of their large powertools.
    Bob
    Thanks a ton for the offer, but I live in Marion (Cedar Rapids). I can get some help tomorrow AM. I purchased this jointer based on the experience I've had with my SC 15" planer. They seem to pay attention to the small details like fit and finish.
    Steven

We got off topic here a bit.

Anybody else seen the show? What are you thoughts?

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Steven J Corpstein View Post
    Thanks a ton for the offer, but I live in Marion (Cedar Rapids). I can get some help tomorrow AM. I purchased this jointer based on the experience I've had with my SC 15" planer. They seem to pay attention to the small details like fit and finish.

7. Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forums, but thought I'd pipe in.

I am the I.T. Director at August Home Publishing (producer of the Woodsmith Shop T.V. show). We're just getting started on season 2 of the show and it is going to be a lot different than season 1. More handheld camera shots (over the shoulder), more projects, etc. Season 1 was our first foray into broadcast television and we learned a lot. Look for us to take what we've learned and modify it a bit to make season 2 even better.

Glad to hear that everyone is enjoying the show. We're covering about 40% of the country so far, so we're really proud of how well the show is doing. Remember that we're giving away some free plans and articles at the show website. Check those out at WoodsmithShop.com.

Brian
    [IMG]chrome://dictionarytip/skin/book.png[/IMG]
    Last edited by Brian VanHeuverswyn; 02-22-2008 at 6:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian VanHeuverswyn View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forums, but thought I'd pipe in.

I am the I.T. Director at August Home Publishing (producer of the Woodsmith Shop T.V. show). We're just getting started on season 2 of the show and it is going to be a lot different than season 1. More handheld camera shots (over the shoulder), more projects, etc. Season 1 was our first foray into broadcast television and we learned a lot. Look for us to take what we've learned and modify it a bit to make season 2 even better.

Glad to hear that everyone is enjoying the show. We're covering about 40% of the country so far, so we're really proud of how well the show is doing. Remember that we're giving away some free plans and articles at the show website. Check those out at WoodsmithShop.com.

Brian
    [IMG]chrome://dictionarytip/skin/book.png[/IMG]
    Congrats on the first season!

My only wish would be to do a couple shows on more advanced woodworking projects and skills/techniques. Seems like the show got stuck trying to teach the simple stuff and forgot about some of the challenging stuff. Even beginners like to see complicated projects! You can't really efficiently improve your skills until you are exposed to the next level of skills......

Other than some techniques that I found "iffy" (the "square cuts" episode), I think you all did an outstanding job for the first year.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming episodes.

9. Quote Originally Posted by John Hain View Post
    My only wish would be to do a couple shows on more advanced woodworking projects and skills/techniques.
    John - after reviewing season 1, we agree that we should include more projects in the show. I think you'll be pleased with season 2 in that regard.

One of the things (in my opinion) that sets August Home apart from other publishing companies is that we put a premium on learning and education. As much as that may sound like lip-service, I can attest to the fact that learning is an integral part of the August Home culture. I think that there are a number of television shows that focus more on the project and less on the necessary skills to build that project. The Woodsmith Shop (season 1 anyway) has purposely focused more on techniques rather than focusing on a project. I think that we are certainly unique in that regard.

We've gotten A LOT of feedback from novice and expert woodworkers alike. Many of them appreciate the technique and educational aspects of the show. Of course we've also gotten feedback asking for more projects and more detail. So, we're going to try and find a balance between both.

Thanks!

Brian

Glad to have another woodworking show to watch. I haven't missed any of the Woodsmith Shop shows, keep up the good work Brian.

Who is the show distributed by? PBS or APT?

Jason

John - after reviewing season 1, we agree that we should include more projects in the show. I think you'll be pleased with season 2 in that regard.

One of the things (in my opinion) that sets August Home apart from other publishing companies is that we put a premium on learning and education. As much as that may sound like lip-service, I can attest to the fact that learning is an integral part of the August Home culture. I think that there are a number of television shows that focus more on the project and less on the necessary skills to build that project. The Woodsmith Shop (season 1 anyway) has purposely focused more on techniques rather than focusing on a project. I think that we are certainly unique in that regard.

We've gotten A LOT of feedback from novice and expert woodworkers alike. Many of them appreciate the technique and educational aspects of the show. Of course we've also gotten feedback asking for more projects and more detail. So, we're going to try and find a balance between both.

Thanks!

Brian

Brian, I have enjoyed the show so far and think it was a good start, everyone has to learn how before they can do any kind of projects. I too like to see different project designs being made, but knowing how to do it is just as important, I have been woodworking for 30 years now and think what you have done so far is good for the new bees to woodworking .. Looking forward for next season…
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Thanks!

Brian

Brian:

How can we get it in the Twin Cities? I have written to the local PBS stations and for some reason they have no plans to show it.

NEVERMIND! Just discovered one of the stations will start carrying it next week!
    Last edited by Greg Just; 02-23-2008 at 12:02 AM. Reason: new info

I am wondering when it will come to Alabama Public Television. I wouldn't mind having another woodworking show to watch.

Regards, Colin
    Where's the beef.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Just View Post
    NEVERMIND! Just discovered one of the stations will start carrying it next week!
    Which station? I looked and found nothing.