Thread: PC 7518---Is my router bad?

PC 7518---Is my router bad?

I have a PC 7518 mounted in a table. While its reputation is that of a powerful workhorse I have never been very impressed with mine. Even using several several light passes to raise a panel it easily stalls out before I have time to react and back off my feed rate when feeding by hand. This is even when I'm trying to be slow and careful. Today I am trying to use a large lock miter bit on 15/16" stock. Even using the slowest speed on my powerfeeder, 9.6 ft/min.. it will stall within 5". I know I could knock the edge off first with a 45 degree cut so the lock miter bit didn't have as much material to remove, and that's what I'll do in order to get this done this afternoon, but it seems to me the router should just handle it without resorting to this extra step. So my question is do I have a bad unit (wouldn't surprise me given the bad luck I've had with PC) or am I unrealistic in what I expect it to handle?
    thanks,
    Mark
    Mark R

IMO, I think you might have a bad unit. I have a PC7539 (same motor) monuted in a table and I can raise a panel with a horizontal raiser in one pass without stalling it. I don't mind you but I could. They are workhorses - I would talk to PC.

thanks Larry. I'll check it out.
    Mark
    Mark R

Mark, I have the same router in my table. It has easily handled anything I've thrown at it, including raised panels.

I agree with the others here. Mine has been a beast from day one. I can't even fathom stalling the thing! I'd have it checkd out if I were you.

Sounds like you may have a bad circuit board in yours. I had to have mine replaced a few years ago. The local service center was gracious enough to sell me the part and I installed it to keep the cost down. If yours is still in warranty, get it looked at ASAP.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You might check your line voltage before you complain to P.C.
    Visit Peercon.com

Talking

Router bad....Mark good!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Blog Entries
    I'm going with the others on this. That router is a powerhouse. Me-thinks it has a brain aneurysm.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rakestraw View Post
    Even using the slowest speed on my powerfeeder, 9.6 ft/min.. it will stall within 5".
    I really don't think a router was ever designed to be used with a power feeder. Do you have the same problems hand feeding?

Mike

I just ran 280 LF of 1/2" bead on my Bosch 2HP router using a power feeder at 12 ft/min. Gives a much nicer finish if it is fed at a constant rate.

Sounds like you have a problem with your router. Give PC a call and see if they will replace it.

Double post

Do you have a really long extension cord supplying power to your router? That model probably draws a lot of amps when under load so make sure you use the least amount of extra power cords. Just a thought, i'm no expert but like I said I have the same model and it has never behaved like that for me.