Thread: Impact drivers?

Impact drivers?

Hi all,
    Just wondering something... Do impact drivers work well as drills, or are they only good for screws, etc? I am wanting to replace my 9.6v Dewalt with a more powerful cordless, and was thinking an 18v. When I got into reading the reviews, I couldn't decide if I need an impact, or just a drill.
    Can the impact do it all?
    Thanks,
    Eric

The impact driver is well faceted, for sure. In terms of drilling, I have a full compliment of quick change twist bits on hand for my impact driver. Insty-bit makes some cool quick change adapters that you can put your own bits in, worth checking out.

I haven't found many large twist bits with the quick change adapter, say 3/8" or larger, but they may be out there. You can get a chuck adapter for impact drivers, however.

I have the makita Lithium Ion 18 volt impact driver, and I think it's great. Aside from well-thought ergonomics and great performance, the belt hook that comes on it is awesome.

Take the plunge, I doubt you'll regret it.

Dustin

Dustin -
    Once you use the impact you'll never go back!

Coming from someone who keeps the drill setup for drilling, and the impact driver for driving........

Do you all notice how hot the bits get in the impact? (only tried once)
    Do they get duller quicker?
    How about breakage on the small drill bits?

It did seem to me like the bits heated up quite a bit more, and I did see more runout by adding things like an additional chuck, then just using the drill.

Thanks

Randal makes some important points. I bet there is a good deal of runout with the adapter chuck-maybe a dealbreaker for some.

I have destroyed probably four times as many bits with the impact as compared with the regular drill.

I blew up a non-hardened socket using an impact driver when I was driving lag screws on a deck.

One thing I should mention, and another point Randal makes, is it is nice to have a impact for driving and a drill for drilling.

I used one of those quick-change drill-driver setups in my impact a few times, and the torque of the impact rounded the facets on the quick-change, getting it stuck in both the impact driver itself, and the driver shaft.

Dustin

Cordless drills usually have a driving feature along with the drilling feature and are referred to as drill/drivers. I've not seen an impact driver referred to as a impact driver/drill. If they were intended to be used as drills, wouldn't you think that the manufacturers would advertise that fact? Can they be used as a drill,...... sure. Is it a function that the tool was intended for...........probably not.

I love my DeWalt impact driver. I use it to drill holes, but you need to remember to not lean into it and cause the driver to start the "impact" mode. When that happens your bits will not last long. Spade bits will spin great then grab and the impact function takes over. I have had these bits stick into the chuck and have not been able to easily remove it. Having said all of that, I don't know what I would do without it, and it is my goto cordless "drill" and I have two other 18v DeWalts - Drill/Drivers..

If you really want a impact-driver/Drill, check out the Makita 4-mode hybrid driver. it drills, impacts, hammers, and drives with a clutch.

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/MK-P...-Hybrid-Driver

- Rob
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

I got the makita 18volt drill/impact combo on sale with amazon for 199. It is the smaller battery, but works great for non-professional. The impact weighs alot less than my 12v porter cable drill.
    Tim

If you use your drill regularly buy a kit with a drill and impact driver. The Makita Li ion kit is around $218 on amazon now. Batteries charge in 15 min.

A drill may typically have 400 in-lb of torque. The impact driver will typically be around 1000 in-lb but may not have a clutch to limit torque so it can strip the threads on small screws.

I was showing off and drove a 1/4 inch carriage bolt into a solid piece of a pallet (using a socket wrench adapter)... the only time I broke off a "screw" with my impact driver. Since it is only a 13.2 volt unit, I can't imagine wanting anything bigger.

Other than above, I have never stripped a screw with the impact driver, but have often done it with a drill/driver, even with a clutch. I don't understand why, but I basically "never" do a screw with the drill any more.

I couldn't see what the big deal was about impact drivers until I got one for Christmas a few years ago. I will never go back!

I've pushed spade bits with the impact but it doesn't do a great job with most drill bits. Its not exactly a finesse tool for fine wood working either. But for construction, installations and other hard uses where many screws must be driven it is amazing.

My buddy has the makita multi mode, its a bit heavy for my taste but does do every thing pretty well. I'm using the makita 14V, can't see my self needing the 18V as its a bit heavier and I don't need the extra power.