Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shop noise

1. Contributing factors to noise levels.

I think it is interesting how changing little things can sometimes have a profound effect on sound levels. I see others speaking about hose lengths on dust collectors, or board size going through a planer. Fascinating. Just last night I had such an experience, even though it is not wood related. I have a stack on washer dryer in the bathroom closet, which backs directly up to the wall of my headboard in the adjoining room. I ran a small load, with just one garment, and the water was splashing aroud loudly, it was around 1:00 am so I did not want to hear the sound, but was tired enough I thought I would be able to sleep through it. The amazing thing that happened is when I added the laundry detergent, it immediately quieted way down. Seriously, it was radical the change. Figure that one out. Low level of water, sloshing loudly, add detergent, everything calms down, and gets very quiet. ??? Ok, back to wood, what else do you do to quiet down your tools?
    Last edited by Bob Feeser; 01-13-2008 at 1:10 PM.
    "Fine is the artist who loves his tools as well as his work."

Smile Shop Noise

Great thread, and my first time onboard of the best learning site on the web. My question to all: Anyone ever look into adding sound proofing in your work shop? Most shops build are stick buildings with added drywall sheets or wood paneling.And thus the noise of machinery bounces off all those surfaces. Do you have some experience in sound proofing or have been succesfull in reducing noise in your wood shop?

3. Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Hendriks View Post
    Great thread, and my first time onboard of the best learning site on the web. My question to all: Anyone ever look into adding sound proofing in your work shop? Most shops build are stick buildings with added drywall sheets or wood paneling.And thus the noise of machinery bounces off all those surfaces. Do you have some experience in sound proofing or have been succesfull in reducing noise in your wood shop?
    I think sound proofing is an interesting consideration. For the operator, the sound level coming directly off of the machine right in front of you, considering the weaker echo levels coming off of the walls, seems like a benign consideration, although people in the adjoining rooms, or floors above would enjoy, sound deadening, insulating material in a shop. Good thought.
    "Fine is the artist who loves his tools as well as his work."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Feeser View Post
    Bruce I noticed that you have the Bose that you put on with the louder Dyson vacuum. Do you use them in the shop?
    Bob, I bought the Bose a few years ago to use primarily on the 7 hour flights to Alaska that I have to do a couple of times a year. I tried a few other NC headphones at the time and the Bose were by far the best sounding to my ears, the most comfortable, and also the most expensive.
    I use them in the shop for just about everything from the ROS to the TS. They are very effective. I also use them while doing yard work – usually with my iPod plugged in.
    Let us know what you think of the Logitech after you’ve used them for awhile. At $48 I might get a pair.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 01-13-2008 at 1:37 PM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Al Killian View Post
    Any chance of you testing the planer with a 6-8" board going thru it? I know my grizzly lunch box planer can be heard in the aparment on the second floor(shop is in the basement). My kirby vac is right around 80dB, which I wearear plugs when using.
    I just ran a 2x8 through my planer taking 1/64, then 1/32, then 1/16 off. Each time the meter pegged at 110 dB (up 6 dB from the machine running alone).

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Hendriks View Post
    When I bought my house 2 1/2 years ago, the shop walls were covered with homosote. I have a 15 foot ceiling. The shop was VERY quite compared to my last shop. I added 5/8 type X drywall to the wall adjacent to the house (to meet fire code) and added plywood cabinets to the walls. I also just recently built a loft for storage which reduces the overall ceiling height to 10 feet. The loft is 2x8 rafters with 3/4 OSB on top - it is now essentially the ceiling. The shop is now MUCH louder. I wish I would have actually measured sounds levels before and after, but I really wasn't thinking about it. This increase in sound is in ambient and radiated noise. The actual level at the machines has not changed.

Be well,

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Feeser View Post
    I think it is interesting how changing little things can sometimes have a profound effect on sound levels. I see others speaking about hose lengths on dust collectors, or board size going through a planer. Fascinating. Just last night I had such an experience, even though it is not wood related. I have a stack on washer dryer in the bathroom closet, which backs directly up to the wall of my headboard in the adjoining room. I ran a small load, with just one garment, and the water was splashing aroud loudly, it was around 1:00 am so I did not want to hear the sound, but was tired enough I thought I would be able to sleep through it. The amazing thing that happened is when I added the laundry detergent, it immediately quieted way down. Seriously, it was radical the change. Figure that one out. Low level of water, sloshing loudly, add detergent, everything calms down, and gets very quiet. ??? Ok, back to wood, what else do you do to quiet down your tools?
    Bob, the detergent made your water softer thus quieter

OK, seriously, it was probably because the detergent makes the water more viscous (thicker) and the bubbles act as insulation. Just my WAG.

Be well,

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Don Abele View Post
    Bruce, ask and ye shall receive.

Most data tables list a vacuum at 100 dB.

We have the Dyson Animal and I just tested it: 88 dB at my ear level. When I "search" the vacuum with the meter, I can get it up to 94 dB.

Be well,

Doc
    Thanks Don. I think ours is the Animal also. Great vacuum.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have been using the ER6i sound isolating earbuds for a few years now. I am a avid talk radio listener. I used to listen to broadcast, but now I record programs on the computer, then download them into my mp3 player. That way am radio does not beocome overloaded with electrical noise.

These work great at reducing noise and I can continue to use my loudest tools while still listening to my programs. I have used headphones for this, but they get hot here in Tucson.

I get the earbuds on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Resea...0257229&sr=8-1

Don, what kind of meter did you use? Anyone know of a good source for a not too expensive but reasonably accurate meter, if such exists (I know, I didn't say what I mean by 'not too expensive'...).

Don's numbers are right on with mine.

I just grabbed the first board I found which was a 3" wide QS red oak scrap.

106dB for the lunchbox.
    98 dB for the Grizzly 15".

Lots of variables involved.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Are there noise level differences with different kinds of dust collector ducts?

Which is noisier, a traditional cast iron 14" bandsaw or a welded 17"?

I hated the noise from my router table so I bought a PC 890 because of lower noise in reviews and enclosed it in an MDF box with acoustical tile lining. Much better, but I don't have a decibel meter to give a reading.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Blaustein View Post
    Don, what kind of meter did you use? Anyone know of a good source for a not too expensive but reasonably accurate meter, if such exists (I know, I didn't say what I mean by 'not too expensive'...).
    Rob, my sound level meter is from Radio Shack (#33-2050):

I bought it about 6 years ago when first setting up my home theater. The reference DVDs I use (Avia and the Sound & Vision home theater setup DVDs) recommended this specific model. After I bought it, I took it to the Audiology Department at work (I'm in the Navy) and had them test it. It was about 3 dB off so they calibrated it for me. I now have a test tone generator which I can use to verify it's calibration. There are many other much more expensive (and complicated) meters out there, but this one works great for what I've used it for.

The 33-2050 has been discontinued. The replacement is the 33-450 and sells for $45.

Be well,

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Are there noise level differences with different kinds of dust collector ducts?

Which is noisier, a traditional cast iron 14" bandsaw or a welded 17"?

I hated the noise from my router table so I bought a PC 890 because of lower noise in reviews and enclosed it in an MDF box with acoustical tile lining. Much better, but I don't have a decibel meter to give a reading.
    Brian, I've had metal, PVC, and flexible ducts. I've not noticed a significant difference in air noise through them. When material is flowing through them, the metal was the loudest, then flexible, then PVC. The noise I've noted from my DC is primarily from the unit itself. Secondary to that is the suction noise created at the business end. This suction noise, however, is not louder than the DC or the machine itself.

As for your second question, I have a cast iron bandsaw, so that's where my numbers came from. If someone wants to give me a welded 17" BS, I'd be more than happy to test it's levels.

The acoustical tile is what is really lowering your noise levels with the router table. I tested more than just my two PC's and Hitachi. I have two Craftsman routers (1.5 & 2 HP) and a PC 7538, but since they all came out about the same (110-115 dB), I just listed one small, one large, and one in the table.

Be well,

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Don Abele View Post
    The replacement is the 33-450 and sells for $45.

Be well,

Doc
    Thanks Don--certainly fits the bill for "not too expensive but reasonably accurate." My real motive: my MIL has hearing problems and uses this old hair dryer that I swear is louder than my router. I keep telling her it's going to make her hearing worse--now I can actually test it. Of course if I test it and it reads out at a safe level--well, I guess no one will know I tested it...

I think the key is getting a comfortable pair (that works well, of course) and keeping them on. Critical to hearing protection are muffling the really loud noises, but I wonder about things like a dust collector running constantly. My father was pretty much deaf in his later years from sitting for hours on a tractor. Also I had a neighbor in pretty much the same shape and he was a truck driver. It would seem constant lower level noise can be detrimental also.

There have been occasions when I left the shop and went into the house I had to go back to the shop or remember to take the muffs back the next time. I forgot I had them on.