Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shop noise

Nate, of all the noise reduction units that I've looked at none of them reduce dB as much as the good foam ones, they all should have a rating on them and the highest I've found is 31dB and that was the foam type.

Knowing what dB's your equipment runs at and what level is non harmful will help you decide which unit will work for you.

I suffer from tinnitus from years of playing in bands and shooting, so I lean toward the foam whenever can, especially when running the louder machinces like the jointer, router and planer.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Bob Feeser really did his homework on this one and gave me some great info. on NC headphones in general. Mine are doing exactly what they should be doing. My Sure E2C's are almost as effective but they are noise blocking and need to be placed deep in the ear. If you chew gum or drink something you can hear weird noises in your head with the E2C's. The Logitech's are much more comfortable than the E2C or my Peltor's. They are very light weight too. With an MP3 player connected the phones dround out almost all of the high freq. background noise. I happened to have a chance to try the Bose headphones on a trip to China. They were nice but not as comfortable as these Logitech's and I don't remember the sound being any better than the Logitech.

Great find Bob - I almost feel like buying a back-up pair like you did.

Thanks,

Mike

The "little things" statement caught my eye....

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Feeser View Post
    I think it is interesting how changing little things can sometimes have a profound effect on sound levels. I see others speaking about hose lengths on dust collectors, or board size going through a planer. Fascinating. Just last night I had such an experience, even though it is not wood related. I have a stack on washer dryer in the bathroom closet, which backs directly up to the wall of my headboard in the adjoining room. I ran a small load, with just one garment, and the water was splashing aroud loudly, it was around 1:00 am so I did not want to hear the sound, but was tired enough I thought I would be able to sleep through it. The amazing thing that happened is when I added the laundry detergent, it immediately quieted way down. Seriously, it was radical the change. Figure that one out. Low level of water, sloshing loudly, add detergent, everything calms down, and gets very quiet. ??? Ok, back to wood, what else do you do to quiet down your tools?

About 6 years ago I bought the "muffler" for my Ridgid shop vac. I said, "Self, how much good can this stupid lookin' thing with a hole all the way through it do?" Well, then I put the thingy on the vac. Guess what? IT WORKED.
    This thread is a valuable info base. Seems that there are more shop safety related posts goin' around this year tthan I've ever seen. Maybe we're gettin' wiser with age. What do ya think?
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Bill, I thought the same thing. And if you note in my lengthy post above:

Ridgid 5HP/13Gallon Shop Vac: 84 dB (91 without muffler)
    That's a 7 dB reduction!

Be well,

Doc

5. Al, Thanks for your input. Wow I am learning a lot about sound in the last couple of days. These Logitechs only have up to 22db of sound reduction, according to the box, so it is great to know that there are better alternatives. So I get what you are saying about how it works. So if you are running a 95db tool, and you have 20 db noise reduction, you are hearing 75db, or am I wrong. I too played in a band, and my Dad was an NRA instructor so I was at a shooting range with small bore 22's at a very early age. So any additional information is appreciated. Thank you. Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Al Willits View Post
    Nate, of all the noise reduction units that I've looked at none of them reduce dB as much as the good foam ones, they all should have a rating on them and the highest I've found is 31dB and that was the foam type.

Knowing what dB's your equipment runs at and what level is non harmful will help you decide which unit will work for you.

I suffer from tinnitus from years of playing in bands and shooting, so I lean toward the foam whenever can, especially when running the louder machinces like the jointer, router and planer.

Al
    "Fine is the artist who loves his tools as well as his work."

......fyi, I today bought one of the Logitech's noise-cancelling headphone sets in Canada for the same $40 (in Cdn.$) at a TigerDirect store in Markam, Ontario...... it is also available for the same price at the Cdn. version of its website....www.tigerdirect.ca

Earphones over Eyeglasses?

How well do the Logitech earphones fit over eyeglases? Thanks.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mellott View Post
    How well do the Logitech earphones fit over eyeglases? Thanks.
    Steve,
    I will be honest with you, when I first heard the question, I was tempted to be a wise guy, and say something like, I don't know it has been a long time since i wore my eyeglasses over my ears. Then I stopped and looked for a photo of these headphones on Google, with someone wearing eyeglasses with them. Then I saw a lot of web pages discussing the problem of wearing headphones and glasses at the same time. So your question is more than a valid one, it is one that a lot of people are considering. It is a good thing I didn't mention anything about the ear joke. I thank you ahead of time for your good sense of humor.
    So to seriously address your well placed question, I put the Logitechs on, and then put on the eyeglasses, and didn't even notice that the headphones were on. The ear piece, which would normally get in the way, has a soft cover, and the eyeglass, what would you call that...stems, slide right under the headphone padding without a glitch.
    I have been using them for 2 days now, and using eyeglasses to read a software book I am studying, and the glasses have been going on and off regularly, without even so much as a consideration as to any incompatibilities; so much so, I didn't understand the question, when you first placed it.
    I was concerned about wearing an air respirator, and shop glasses with thick, arms or whatever you call the part that parks on top of your ears, and having a problem with that. With regular eyeglasses, the kind you buy at your corner drug store for reading, have thin... here we go again, arms or whatever, and they work great.
    "Fine is the artist who loves his tools as well as his work."

I really appreciate all the information, Bob and others. I ordered a pair from Amazon yesterday. This will be my first try of noise-canceling headphones, so if they are even adequate, I'll be happy.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I was looking for a nice deal for a new set of NC headphones. I pulled the trigger on the Logitechs because of the price.

A couple things: I believe the noise reduction is easily 22db. I can put these things on and just hear the nice purr of a router a foot away. It's actually an enjoyable purr rather than anything I'd consider loud or even remotely uncomfortable. They work very well. Who knows, maybe they just fit my big noggin well.

Secondly, they are more comfortable than I expected. I've always been a earplug kinda guy, but these are nice.

I'd recommend these NC headphones as well.

Huh?

I'm sorry, I didn't hear you, can you repeat the question?

12. I just came across this thread. I have a laser engraver hooked up to a DC and am trying to reduce the noise. Until I figure out how I want to configure my shop permanently, I'm running the end of the DC out a window (no bag - this thing primarily expels smoke).

Has anyone tried to build a box with insulation and baffles to reduce noise from the exhaust end?

Blog Entries
    I wear hearing protection most of the time when I'm running power tools.

One thing everyone needs to be aware of when measuring sound is that the sound should be measured at the operators level. Sound intensity drops inversely proportional to the square of the distance so placing the sound meter next to the cutter head on a planer would give you a louder reading than you would hear when actually operating the machine. When making sound measurements always take them at the level of the operators ear.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    ...One thing everyone needs to be aware of when measuring sound is that the sound should be measured at the operators level...
    Lee, in the table I posted above, all the measurements I took were measured at my ear level in what I would call the normal operating position for that particular tool.

Be well,

Doc

I use AquaNot ear plugs for woodworking and for target shooting. I find that the custom earplugs protect my ears better than typical foam plugs, and I dislike earmuffs.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.