Thread: Suggestions for new tablesaw guard for sears craftsman 10 inch tablesaw

Question Suggestions for new tablesaw guard for sears craftsman 10 inch tablesaw

Hi:

Need some suggestions for a new blade guard for my sears craftsman 10 inch tablesaw. I removed the old blade guard that came with the saw when I bought it because the boards kept jamming up in the guard. Decided today to replace it because the sawblade got a little too close for comfort while I was sawing an Oak board. Any suggestions as to what would be a good replacement? I don't want to spend alot of money because I plan on getting a new tablesaw sometime in the Summer.

Thanks,

Bob

I can Tell You About Splitters

I know you asked about guards, but hope this answer is of value. I have over the course of the past year equiped my saw with a really good splitter and a magnetic featherboard. true the blade is still spinning around like crazy, but I feel safer than I ever have while using the saw. Any accident I ever had or any near miss would have been prevented with these two accessories or would not have been pevented with a blade guard. I'll document the sources if you wish.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Exclamation Craftsman Saw

Bob, I also have a Craftsman contractor saw and I've had a few close calls, but like Carl said, they call could have been prevented if I had only had a splitter in place. When I got my tablesaw years ago, I took a lot of time and patience to follow their instructions close to set it up. With the splitter/kickback guard/finger guard in place, I feel safe to do most work, but it is clumsy during most of those conditions. I cannot tell a lie, most of the time I run without the guard in place. I have often thought about taking the original device and cutting off the blade guard part and using only the splitter and kickback pawls, but then I just leave it alone. Maybe someone else can give us both some guidance.
    Bob

Bob...
    I'd suggest that you may want to consider a couple of things that you can transfer to your next saw. They will make a big difference in the operation safety.

Look at the GRR-Ripper and their splitter at http://www.microjig.com/

Terry Hatfield did a review of the splitter on this thread - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...?threadid=7002

and a full one on his site under tool reviews at -
    http://www.terryhatfield.com/
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Bob,

You might consider the Beisemeyer over blade gaurd. It cost a little more now but you can put it on your new saw when you getit . I've had one for about year and like it. Before I had the Bret gaurd but was not all that happy with it. As a minium install a spliter as Glen suggested, you can either make your own or get the microjig.

Safe sawing,
    Greg