Thread: Windsor chair/B*ands*w

Question Windsor chair/B*ands*w

Any Windsor chair makers here?

Interested in starting and have a one car gar..eh, shop, hobby, non-production setting that I am outfitting.

Mostly hand tool oriented, (and yes, I can use a bow saw) however I need information on b*nds*ws. What do you use, how big, ect?

Anyone just use a b*nds*w, and not a t*bles*w? Posted this on the power side but thought there might be more chairmakers here.

All help appreciated, thanks

Mostly hand tool oriented, (and yes, I can use a bow saw) however I need information on b*nds*ws. What do you use, how big, ect?

In general the quality bandsaws start right around the 14" range. The ability to tension 1/2" blades properly seems to begin with that size machine. You could use almost any size bandsaw to cut the seats, in practice. If that is the only thing you need a bandsaw to do, you may be better off with that frame saw or a high quality hand-held scroll saw.

I'm not sure where a tablesaw would come into play in chair production. A friend of mine used to cut his back rails and combs on the tablesaw. He had a high rate of bending failure but he thinks he came out ahead compared to the time it took to rive and shape those parts by hand.

I have made several styles of Windsor chairs with traditional tools and techniques. If you have any questions I'll see if I can be of some help.

Tom

Get the book by Michael Dunbar "Making a Windsor Chair with Michael Dunbar". This book will help you to know what tools you'll need to make windsor Chairs. I am reading through it a little at a time right now.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Hi Rick

I've built some Windsor sack back chairs and a settee and find the bandsaw quite useful. Of all of the power tools that could be purchased by a Neanderthal I think the bandsaw is the most useful. Not only can it cut curves, but I find it is the safest way to rip stock. All of the force is downward so there is no chance of kickback. Additionally it cuts a narrow kerf so you don't waste a lot of stock. This is particularly useful when using the saw for its other important function-- resawing stock for veneer or thinner boards. For Windsors the bandsaw is particularly useful for cutting the stock for the bows and the armrail. You can steer the wood so that you don't get any grain runout which can cause the part to crack or break when you steam bend them.

I would suggest that you buy the biggest you can afford. The 14" saws with a riser block are nice, but they can't handle or tension blades wider than 1/2" and they tend to be underpowered at 1 HP when resawing heavy stock. Personally I have a very old 18" saw with a 2HP motor and a 12" resaw height that I picked up at a cabinet shop auction and rebuilt. It will probably be the only bandsaw I ever own. My bandsaw is the single most used power tool in the shop. The tablesaw is a distant second.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Rick,

I second Dave's suggestions here, and Bart's on Mike Dunbar. As well I agree with Tom that a Table Saw will not be as important/useful a tool for a chairmaker.
    Interesting article in Fine Woodworking, Tools & Shops, Winter 2001/2002, by Gary Rogowski. The author listed the 5 essential power tools and the Table Saw didn't make the cut. He does admit that a lot of woodworkers won't agree, and that if you want to build cabinets, then your first purchase should be a Table Saw.

His list:

1. Bandsaw
    2. Jointer
    3. Router
    4. Compound-Miter Saw
    5. Drill Press

Interestingly the same issue has a GREAT workbench design by Mike Dunbar mentioned above.

-Steve