Thread: Dowelmax vs. Domino vs. M&T Testing?

Dowelmax vs. Domino vs. M&T Testing?

Can anyone point me to information regarding the strength of the Dowelmax vs. Dominos vs. traditional M&T joints? I've read a few threads where someone mentioned "recent tests" but haven't found anything on those tests. I've seen the videos on the Dowelmax site, but I'd like to see something independent (i.e. not funded by the manufacturer.) I've seen a recent magazine test too, but if I'm not mistaken that test didn't specifically use either of these technologies.

WOOD Mag, Issue 177 July 2007.
    Page 66 a Domino article that compares
    Domino, Biscuits,M&T,Beadlock, Dowelmax.

Thanks John. Not sure why I haven't seen that article other than the fact that it probably came when I was busy between a new job and working on my bathroom.

The July 2007 Wood article was quite interesting. The March 2001 issue of Fine Woodworking has an article comparing traditional M&T, floating tenons and biscuits. They go into more detail about the nature of joint failures. There is another article out there somewhere I read recently, but can't find it now. I will keep digging. Although the information makes interesting reading, the overall conclusion I got was pretty simple. It appears to me that any of the joints you mentioned are more than adequate for almost all applications. I use the Dowelmax because it is much easier than M&T, it is very easy to achieve very precise results, and I am unwilling to pay the price for a Domino cutter.

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mountain.
    Hey Matt,
    I have seen a few articles comparing dowels and loose tenons (Domino) and fixed tenons, but they always seem bogus. In an effort to be fair, they do all the methods the same way. In a dowel or domino application, you would almost certainly use multiple joints, which you avoid like the plague if you are doing a fixed tenon. I think the post above hit the nail on the head - they all work just fine.

My own personal preference is that if the joint will be buried and not visible, do it the quickest and simplest way.

Matt, the TOS prohibits linking into another forum, so I sent you a PM with a link. Anyone else - head over to the canadianwoodworking.com forum and search for the thread entitled " What is stronger - the results" from Oct 25 2007 and you'll find a pretty decent test and subsequent discussion by a woodworker/writer out in British Columbia who tested all the joints. It was not sponsored by any manufacturer.

That test though, shares the same flaws that all other tests I've seen have shared. First, they have no way at all of testing for how a joint lasts over time. Second, they destroy them with a ram, which is one sustained strain. I've yet to see a test that tests a joint by repeated small flexing -- such as would happen on a chair or bench that is repeated sat upon, or a cabinet door that is opened and banged shut for umpteen years.

And finally, one other bit of data that I have yet seen is the question as to how much strength is really enough. What I mean, is suppose the M+T joint is the "strongest"... but that doesn't mean that the biscuit joint may not be strong enough. Just how much strength do you need for a face frame? Or a bookshelf?

...art
    "It's Not About You."