Thread: Difference in casters?

Blog Entries

Difference in casters?

Was wondering what the differences between these two casters were:
    Hartville Tools
    Woodcraft

They are both 3" urethane tires with locking brakes for both wheel and swivel. The woodcraft is rated at 300 lbs and Hartville at 220 lbs. But the Woodcraft version (even on sale) is 50% more in cost.

I have 2 sets of the woodcraft version already and am happy with them. But if Hartville's is of similar quality, the cost savings would be nice.

So does anyone have Hartville's (or both) and can commnent?
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

Let us know, Randy, after you buy both!

I have the Woodcraft version and often pick up a bunch when they have sales on them.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

These are my personal favorites....

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...t=3,51976&ap=1

I use them in the shop and also used them on our large, mobile kitchen island.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've had a set of the Hartville casters. I don't know the specific model, but I think they were the 4" ones. They lock at the spindle and the roller. They support a huge router table with drawers.. it is 48" x 32" wide at the top and tablesaw height. The Hartville ones work great. I'm pretty sure they are the same ones in the link.

If you are dying to know, I can measure them tonight at home and tell you if they are 3 or 4 inches.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Klein View Post
    Was wondering what the differences between these two casters were:
    I don't have either, but the difference is 80 pounds of load capacity per caster or (320 pounds per four). The price difference is about right for the difference in load rating. If you can get away with the lighter load rating then go for the lower price.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    I just ordered the Hartville versions. I'll report on them when I get them. They're on back order though...
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

I use both. The Woodcraft casters are a little more heavy duty. Both casters still swivel just a little bit but the Woodcraft casters swivel a bit less.

I second Jim’s choice the Lee valley, I have them on three different things and they work great and don’t move ..
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I have used several sets of the Hartville casters and I'm very happy with them. I called Woodcraft and asked one of their techs about what made theirs so special. He didn't know much about the Hartville casters but he said that theirs were made with, "Precision bearings". That was it. To me that's a rather vague answer but I guess it's about as good as I could expect. I can't expect them to know the details of the Hartville casters.

I haven't asked Hartville the same question but I suspect if I asked them they'd tell me theirs are made with, "Precision bearings" also. The load capacity difference? Who knows? I don't know that I put too much weight, (pardon the pun) in either of the two company's load ratings claims. I just know that 4 of the 3" Hartville casters have no problem handling the weight of my 8" Sunhill jointer on an extremely heavy duty home-built mobile base. It sits in one place for quite a while and doesn't have any problem when I go to roll it into another position. The wheels double lock securely and it rolls very easily.

I've also used a few sets of the Grizzly 3" casters and there's no question that the Hartville casters work better for me for about the same price. The locking levers are easier to use and they seem to lock a little more securely. When I bought mine the Hartville casters had a higher weight rating than the Grizzly casters too. With the Woodnet 15% discount they are a great price and I really prefer to give my $$ to Hartville because of their outstanding customer service.

Bruce

I'd only use Zambus for any machinery on wheels.

What I've done is to put two of the nice double locking casters on the front of a mobile base, and then on the back I put two non-locking el-cheapo swivel casters that I picked up at the local borg for half the price of the Woodcraft (on sale) units.

I find that locking two of the wheels is enough for me.

I've got this on my 6" jointer, and my DW-735 planer and am completely satisfied.

The one gotcha is that the wheels are not the same height, so I had to do some fiddling with the wheel mount, to make sure they were level with each other.
    "It's Not About You."

I would stick with what has worked in the past for you if you are happy with the performance.

I find that I am doing well to get two casters locked, but I run with all 4 casters as double locking so I don't have to go for any two specific casters when locking, any two will do. I like all 4 casters to be free to swivel because I have a tight shop, so I need to turn on a dime.

I have the Woodcraft 3" wheels, and I've seen the LV 4" wheels that seem to be a bit high for my likes. I usually have shelving under my units.