Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Project ideas for Middle School kids

How about a two step step stool/chair. Nothing very fancy. The sides could be made out of birch plywood and you could finish the side edges in the same wood you use for the step/seat and introduce them to edge banding.

Wood projects for kids

How about a:
    Serving Tray - where they design the handles
    Corner shelf - for their trophies or "nick-nack's"
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

checkout the coffee filter holder in another thread. Wouldn't take the whole time but it's pretty cool.

Maybe a suite (?) of matching kitchen stuff - knife rack, towel holder, paper towel, spice rack.

I didn't read through the other posts above so this might have been suggested already. If you have access to a lathe then have the kids make light house lights using alternation woods. I built one in 7th grade and used walnut and maple in alternating one inch thick layers glued together then cut to the shape of a light house. We then mounted little lights like the old christmas lights on the top. The kids learn a little about electrical wiring and learn to use a lathe properly. The main caution is if you cut too deep on the lathe then the lighthouse can explode if not glued properly.

Middle School Projects

Does everyone have to make the same thing? Since they are already proficient on most of the tools, give them a list of choices (many are already in this thread) and let them choose their own project.

Steve

I will give a brief list of some of the things my grade 7-9 kids do, then try to get some pics up later.

"Yang" jewellery box--As name suggests, it looks like 50% of the Yin and Yang. Bandsaw it to shape from template, drill hole in corner for dowel 'hinge', cut off lid on bs, drill large hole for 'jewels'.

Gumball machine: Probably seen this in candy stores. Looks like a face..the 1" dowel nose is the piece that allows candy to come out of wooden body.

Curio shelf

CD rack: 2 6" pieces of 1 x 6 for ends. 1 12" long piece of 1 x 6 split from same piece 1/3, 2/3 on bandsaw to form the bottom and back support. Nailed together.

I have 5 scroll saws and about 500 patterns. This keeps the timid kids busy.

Super Clip: A extra-large clothes-pin. Hinge mechanism is fairly inexpensive.

2 x 4 furniture. I have a chair and table some of the more experienced kids can tackle.

Coat/tie/belt rack

Spaghetti measuring device

3 different birdhouses

Paper towel rack

Lathe:
    Bowls from laminated 2 x 8 pine. Not a great wood, but it turns easily enough for kids

Miniature 12" baseball bat/fish bonker.

Candlestick holder

paper towel rack

spinning tops

goblets