Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inlaying Tiles in a Coffee Table?

Blog Entries
    Since the long grain is adjacent to the tile field, I wouldn't expect that there would be any wood movement problems. I made a tray for my sister in law with a tile field.brentray.jpg and I used a caulk material for the grout and it did shrink a bit over time. If I were to do this again, I would use the Musselbound adhesive mat material to hold the tile in place and then use the Laticrete epoxy grout. I used the mat for our kitchen back splash and so far all the tiles are securely in place. The Laticrete grout is stain proof so nothing that gets spilled will stain it.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Excellent Rod
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

>>>> what kind of grout would you use between the tiles?

In my shop we used to use a marine polysulfide sealant/adhesive. We used it both to adhere the tiles to the substrate and then to "grout" the the spaces between the tiles. Because it's intended for marine applications, it is flexible enough to withstand quite a bit of movement. Buy it at a marine supply store or contact Jamestown Distributors.
    Howie.........

I will never use a conventional grout again after having found SpectraLOCK two part epoxy grout. It is comparable to conventional grout for installation but it never needs to be sealed and it will never stain. I have used it on a ceramic tile floor and a marble tile floor. It wears like iron... probably will never need to re-grout! It is available locally at Lowes. You buy the clear epoxy and hardener separate from the colored filler (sand). The filler is available in a variety of colors. The SpectraLOCK also has a mildew-icide so mildew will never form on the surface and the epoxy is impervious to all micro-life. It is a lot stronger than conventional grout and is more flexible... able to overcome minor movements.

JUST SAY NO to conventional grout! I will NEVER use conventional grout again!

http://www.lowes.com/pd_328840-73069...7C1&facetInfo=
    Last edited by Mike Schuch; 01-16-2015 at 6:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schuch View Post
    I will never use a conventional grout again after having found SpectraLOCK two part epoxy grout. It is comparable to conventional grout for installation but it never needs to be sealed and it will never stain. I have used it on a ceramic tile floor and a marble tile floor. It wears like iron... probably will never need to re-grout! It is available locally at Lowes. You buy the clear epoxy and hardener separate from the colored filler (sand). The filler is available in a variety of colors. The SpectraLOCK also has a mildew-icide so mildew will never form on the surface and the epoxy is impervious to all micro-life. It is a lot stronger than conventional grout and is more flexible... able to overcome minor movements.

JUST SAY NO to conventional grout! I will NEVER use conventional grout again!

http://www.lowes.com/pd_328840-73069...7C1&facetInfo=
    Interesting. I'm filing that away for future use.

Rod, beautiful table. I missed your re-opening of this thread.
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
    Interesting. I'm filing that away for future use.

Rod, beautiful table. I missed your re-opening of this thread.
    Thanks Justin, we do like it............Rod.

Use Schluter Ditra as an isolation layer then thin set as the instructions specify (modified below the membrane, unmodified above, as I recall) just like tiling a floor over plywood. The membrane will eliminate any problems with wood movement. Your local tile shop can probably give you a scrap to do a coffee table with. (or if you're close by I have a pile of scraps).