Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One Man's Junk is Another Man's ....

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Dionne View Post
    Nice cabinet

I have a loot of old lab stuff in my shop, 4 metal cabinets counter height, 3 upright metal cabinets etc.

Word of caution some of the old cabinet bench tops contain asbestos so be careful know what you are cutting into before you cut. I have a few years in the enviromental chem field and my wife is a envirmental chemist.

Nice haul

Dave
    I was a little worried about abestos so I always worn my 3M charcoal mask. I don't think it was the best protection but it was much better than nothing. The couter top was very dusty when I cut or drilled it. I put an old carbide blade in my MM slider and crosscut off 12" from one end. I ran the DC but there was still some dust. Hopefully I didn't od on asbestos dust. By the way the carbide blade was red hot before I got thru the cut but the 6.4 hp MiniMax didn't even slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Purcell View Post
    One man gathers what another man spills....

(any dead fans here?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    Goggled Dumpster Diver.

Attachment 79397Attachment 79398
    That is pretty much the picture. I had a project at work that involved tearing out an old lab. I had the contractor doing the work save a bunch of stuff for me. When I came to pick up the stuff I found the sink and a cabinet in the dumpster. So my buddy and I climbed in and pulled out two sinks and a cabinet. I have the other sink and cabinet installed as an actual sink in my dog kennel. But the biggest haul was two .03 micron heppa filter units complete with motors and blowers and enough plastic curtain to build my own clean room. I have it installed in my shop to protect my "clean stuff" from the wood dust.
    Heppas
    IMG_0841.jpg
    clean room
    IMG_0842.jpg
    clean stuff
    IMG_0838.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Purcell View Post
    One man gathers what another man spills....

(any dead fans here?)
    There's one in every crowd

Regards,

John St Stephens
    What this world needs is a good retreat.
    --Captain Beefheart

i used a couple of lab casework pieces in my shop too. I have an 8' "resin" top (its about 50 yrs old so I know what its made of) that I use for a bench area. I still have a 6' top that i havent set up yet. The frames are 1" maple .. I am angry that I didnt salvage the rest of the casework ...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Koepke View Post
    i used a couple of lab casework pieces in my shop too. I have an 8' "resin" top (its about 50 yrs old so I know what its made of) that I use for a bench area. I still have a 6' top that i havent set up yet. The frames are 1" maple .. I am angry that I didnt salvage the rest of the casework ...
    Yup if you are in the right place at the right time you can get some pretty nice stuff for free. But you also have to have the space when the stuff comes available. I snagged two 7' stainless steel table tops and the casework to set them on. I also snagged a 25" stainless steel counter, framework, and pullout shelves. I have it stored in my barn right now because I have to move the toys around in the shop to clear up a 25" wall for it. This stuff would cost several thousand $'s if you were to buy it.