Thread: best paint finish for wood toys

best paint finish for wood toys

I have a few hundred of beech blocks that I need to paint. And lookign for a durable, easy to use paint. I can spray these too.
    I am familair with and painted some with acrylic lacquer with a auto primer undercoat for other projects(not for kids). I am searching to find an alternative paint that is easy to use and safe.
    I have heard of poly like paint which gives a durable top coat all in one but havent seen it.

Any ideas??
    Chris

Ist make the paint isn't made in China

Have you considered 2 pound cut shellac? It is approved for child use and easy to use. I use one or two coats depending on the desired finish, sanding betweemn with 160 or 220 grit to remove burrs and even hit the finish lightly again if it is a toy for handling. I have a piece of 1/4" mesh hardware screen that to lay the "wet" pieces on and it is hard to see the contact points. Just make sure you use a thin shellac.

A good thing is that you can wrap the squeezed out brush with a paper towel dampened with denatured alcohol and store it in a plastic bag between coats, or even longer. I haven't cleaned my brush for at least 4 years often going months between use, and don't get too concerned about the exact mix. Give it a try. You will be surprised at the smooth finish.

Just use an alcohol soluble dye and nothing else. They are available in bright, primary colors, in some cases, just for this purpose and spraying is the best way to get it on the pieces. If you want to put a film finish, about the easiest would be Deft lacquer from a spray-bomb, as long as you can do it outside or have a safe spray environment. Since you live in sunny Phoenix, the former shouldn't be an issue.

Honestly, my wooden blocks when I was little were only dyed in a similar manner. They had no film finish on them and looked like new for many years...'wish I still had them!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...