Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Is Norm infallible?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
    The double-drawer dishwashers have alot less interior space then a normal dishwasher, but would probably be a great solution for someone who didn't have kids (or a wife).
    This is a better topic for a thread in OT, but that's absolutely not true. I know because I have them in our kitchen and have since 2003. Outside of a limit in the physical size of a few things (the 14" chargers will not fit, but they only get used once every three years or so...) our 2 over-under Fisher-Paykel dishdrawers actually hold more than a single conventional style dishwasher. They are also more economical to run than most conventionals due to some impressive motor technology. I only wish I could have done two independent units on either side of the sink to not have to bend over to load the lower one...not possible in our kitchen space, however.

And now back to our regularly scheduled Norm-o-thon!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I thinks is part of the appeal to the show. I would guess that a large portion of the audience doesn't actually do any of this stuff, they just like watching and seeing it done, living vicariously as it were. A large part of our culture lives through people on tv, which is horrendously sad, but it explains the success of certain types of programs. Please note, I am not referring to anyone here, don't spend a bunch of time explaining how you don't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Do I respect the skill and creativity of David Marks or Sam Moloof? Absolutely. Do I feel I could do that with some practice? Not bloody likely, maybe with a LOT of practice. Do I feel like I might be able to duplicate Norm's projects with some patience and practice? Yes to many of them. That might be the attraction of Norm.

Curt

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post

Outside of a limit in the physical size of a few things (the 14 chargers will not fit, but they only get used once every three years or so...)
    Jim your NOT supposed to be washing YOUR 14 YO twins in the dish washer draws!

And they MTL need a bath more than once every 3 years

I think Norm hurt his shoulder falling from a wet rafter during his house construction. I believe he wrote about it in the book about his house. It was a pretty funny story.

I figure Norm has cost me nearly $20,000 having gotten me hooked on woodworking as a hobby. I hate to say it, but I'd rather meet him than the President or any celebrity. I have even had dreams in which I worked on a project with him.... Does that make me a stalker?

Imagine what his pieces will be worth once he decides to pack it in....

Jack

Jack...it's not "cost"...it's "investment"....
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jack - the injury I'm speaking of was long after his home was built and the book published.

Infallible no, Skilled YES!

Hey Guys have you ever heard the saying, "If it was easy everybody would be doing it!" I am going to make an unusual reference. When JK Rowling wrote the Harry Potter books the best thing she ever did, which makes all the money earned, is to get kids reading again. Norm is the woodworking equivalent. His easy approach has either introduced, or reintroduced so many people to woodworking he has earned the right to as many mistakes as he has ever made. (And personally I don't think there are a lot of them.) The greatest thing about TOH or NYW is they get people thinking, hey I can do this! Not as well as Norm perhaps but the longest journey begins with a single step. I enjoy Roy Underhill's shows but he rarely does projects I would want to make. I would also like to see him use more tools created after the use of electricity! Time is my most important commodity. After I retire my desire to use hand tools may increase, but until then I must say that Norm is the only guy who's building things I might want to duplicate right now.
    ANYBODY that saves the skills of manufacture for the public, and maintains our legacy as a nation of BUILDERS is worth their weight in gold.
    My .02
    Bill J

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hogoboom View Post
    Does that make me a stalker?
    Only if you start plotting how you will swing by his house on your next vacation in the hopes of seeing him as he mows his lawn...

And I think his show rocks... my 5 yo loves his show too, and if it helps get him hooked on woodworking, more power to him... He would rather watch that then cartoons...
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-22-2008 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Fixed Quote Tagging

If you guys (and gals) want to do some reading, here are three atricles for you to look up

Woodworkers Journal
    April 2007

Popular Woodworking
    August 2005

Fine Woodworking
    March/April 1993

The first two should be able to be bought through their website.

The FWW article is one I had to purchase seperately through the magazine. I don't know if they still sell individaul articles anymore.

Plus Norm's five NYW books, plus his house book and the "Measure twice,cut once" book should satisfy almost everyone. Lost of info in them thar pages.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges