Thread: 14" Grizzly band saw

14" Grizzly band saw

Can this Band saw tension a 3/4" blade?

I was wondering if it is too much for mine. I need to do some resawing.

Blog Entries
    Can't answer specifically about the saw but many book-writing BS experts run 1/2" blades for general re-sawing and save their big blades for really meaty stock. I tried a TW 3/4" 2-3 TPI for my 17" and it does well. I will probably go back to a 1/2" blade next time just to see how I agree/disagree with the authors. Timberwolf blades run at a lower tension than many others if that helps.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

John, is it a cast iron 14" or a steel frame 14"? Grizzly makes both. I have the G0457 and its a steel frame 14" BS. A steel frame saw will allow more tension than a cast saw. I cant answer your question about tension if its a cast saw, but will add that when I started resawing, I bought several 3/4" blades and they were very hard to install and I ended up bending them, making them useless. I started resawing with 1/2" ~ 3 tooth per inch blades and have had very good results. If you decide your saw wont tension a 3/4" blade, go to a 1/2" blade.
    Last edited by Lance Norris; 01-19-2008 at 9:42 PM.

I think you'll be very happy with a 1/2" Wood slicer variable pitch blade. It will cut fast and smooth with your 14" saw, whether a CI or steel frame saw. There are other issues with blade size beyond tensioning ability, including the crown and diameter of the wheels.

I've got the 3/4 on mine for resawing. Seems fine. If i was to do it over again i'd probably use a 1/2".

######################

This site has absolutely awesome information...Thanks to you!!!

Thanks Guys

Thanks guys, I forgot to say it was the (cast iron) G0555. I will go with a 1/2" blade first and see how it performs. I recently bought a entry level scroll saw and will be doing some resawing for fretwork.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lannon View Post
    Thanks guys, I forgot to say it was the (cast iron) G0555. I will go with a 1/2" blade first and see how it performs. I recently bought a entry level scroll saw and will be doing some resawing for fretwork.
    I've got the G0555 and I use a 5/8" blade for re-sawing with no problems. Can't comment on the 3/4", but based on how it handles my 5/8" I don't think it would be a problem.

Thanks again every one. I went with a 1/2" - 3 tpi - rake.. Timberwolf, and it did just fine. Im surprised how accurate band saws can be when you set them up right. It stayed within 1/64" along a 12" cut, and that might just be my rip fence.
    Last edited by John Lannon; 01-21-2008 at 5:30 AM. Reason: spelling