Thread: Reputable Sources for Stanley Planes

Reputable Sources for Stanley Planes

I have been reading advice on using handplanes and which planes are best to have. Right now, the "hole" in my collection is a No. 4 (I have some Veritas Planes - Bevel Up smoother, Bevel up jointer, LA Block, Medium shoulder, etc.,) and I have begun to transition to more handtools to get away from the dust and get desired effect (lots of stuff on General re how hard it is to control without big $$). Garrett Hack recommends a Bedrock No. 4, but the only one of these I have seen on the net comes in around $400. I have seen regular Stanleys cheaper, but I am unsure about the sources, so I thought I would ask you experts on what you recommend and what you think a fair price might be.

(After the No. 4, a Dado plane, etc. - it will never end - I think you Neanderthals just may have more fun.)

BTW - the woodworkers at Colonial Williamsburg did a good job convincing me planes do lots of things better.

Thanks

Thomas,

If you don't want to go the e-bay route, check out the classifieds here on the creek. For reputable dealers try these guys. I have bought from all 3 of them.

Sandy

Walt

Tom

You should not have too much trouble finding a #4. Good luck.

Jonathan

"I left Earth three times. I found no place else to go. Please take care of Spaceship Earth." -- Wally Schirra, who flew around Earth on Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions in the 1960s.

PM Clint Jones. He is my local plane pusher. He has a nice 5 1/2 for sale right now.

Walt is top notch too.

Lynn Dowd is a straight shooter too.
    http://http://www.dowdstools.com/toolsforsale.htm

Patrick Leach, www.supertool.com email him a request. Goes by Mr. Peabody on ebay. Bob Kaune is a Bedrock supplier, www.antique-used-tools-com You should be able to get a decent vintage 604 for a lot less then $400. If you can't, just buy a Lie-Nielsen.

Steve

Tom and Pat are my major suppliers as well. Pat seems to have more of the scarce and collector grade stuff, but his users are always in great shape, and Tom has a lot of user stuff, too. I just bought 6 (mostly Handyman type) jacks and the same number of 220 type (more or less) block planes for my school shop from him at very reasonable prices. Unfortunately, I'm always a little late whenever a 604 1/2 comes up....

DC

Thanks!

I checked out the sites recommended by you all and they were very helpful. BTW-I usually just enjoy searching and reading threads concerning things I am interested in. This one response more than paid for my contribution in my mind.

Thanks again.

Not wanting to hijack this thread, but can anyone suggest a source for replacement blades for a Stanley #40 (scrub plane)?

I've always wondered if a Lie-Nielsen will fit in a #40 1/2, but that won't do your #40 any good. Sorry can't be more help. They look easy to make, if you can find the stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Jackson View Post
    Not wanting to hijack this thread, but can anyone suggest a source for replacement blades for a Stanley #40 (scrub plane)?
    Jim Reed or St.Jamesbay tool co. sell replacements. I believe St.james sells them for $20 a piece. You can contact jim reed for his pricing his username on ebay is planeblades