Thread: Mixing Bosch 1617 Router fixed base with Craftsman professional router

Mixing Bosch 1617 Router fixed base with Craftsman professional router

Hello,

About 2 years ago I purchased the Craftsman Professional Router (without the light) that looks just like the Bosch 1617EVS. The router works fine with the exception of tightening the collet - but I'll save that for another thread...

My setup consists of a Benchdog Cast Iron Router Table extension on my Grizzly 1023S tablesaw. When I tried to line up the holes for the benchdog router table insert to the Craftsman fixed base, nothing lined up even remotely. My base did not even come close to the Bosch 1617EVS router holes, so I ended up spending a few hours making my own lined-up holes, which was intense to say the least.

Well, as it turns out now, I need to insert a bushing for a 1/4" spiral bit, however the Benchdog router table insert does not accommodate for any bushings. The router plate itself is too thick and the opening is too large for the bushing.

So my concern now is to find a way to get this to work. My thoughts were that I was going to need to purchase a new router table insert for this router, but I know that I'm going to have the same struggles with no holes to match my craftsman router unless I go through that mess again drilling holes and lining things up. Not to mention, the bushing kit I purchased insists that the bushing must be *exactly* centered or the kit will not work. (Fairly obvious for any bushing kit I assume)

My thoughts were this - does anyone own both of these routers in their workshop? I was thinking if the bases looked the same between the Bosch and the Craftsman router (I've only used the Craftsman, not the Bosch) would the Craftsman router fit into the Bosch fixed base? If so, I would probably purchase a Bosch fixed router base and then not have to worry about what router table insert I go with. The router itself has a number of cut-out grooves that interlock into the fixed base for the adjustment screw that changes the height. There's also a small pin that has to be lined up before the router can be inserted into the base. I can take detailed pictures of my router if that could help anyone.

So after my long winded post (sorry!), does anyone know if this will work? Does anyone have these two routers that they can test this setup before I go ahead and invest any more $$ into my router? My only other alternative is to bite the bullet and purchase the Bosch Router set, but I was hoping to use that on something else that I didn't have in my workshop....

Many Thanks to all!
    S.F.

If I understand your question correctly, I'll answer it as follows: I don't use bushings any more. I use a bit with a flush bearing (top or botton as needed) and adjust my template to align with the curve I want to cut. I actually find it easier than using a bushing since I don't have to figure the offset.

And I don't have to worry about the bushing hole being concentric.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I am not at home right now, so I can't say for 100% sure that it fits, but not being there (trying to remember when I did it), I am 98% sure it fits.

The big difference between the bases, was the Craftsman was drilled in its pattern, and for Craftsman accessories (bushings and such). That was the reason I picked up that one for my father (he had all that stuff already). I picked up one on closeout for me, and haven't yet checked what I was told, but will post that anyway. I was told if you pull off the black plastic/clear plastic plates, and compare the bases to the Bosch ones, that you will find them also drilled for the Bosch holes. If your plate was predrilled for the Bosch, then you could pull off the baseplate and check that theory.

I just grabbed the parts lists for the two, and the motor housing for both, uses exactly the same part number, so it will fit.

I just picked up a close-out Craftsman 26620 set, which is almost the same as the Bosch 1617 set. I wanted to get base plates for the fixed and plunge bases that accept PC or Bosch bushings (I have a set of both), so I went to Lowes to compare the Craftsman bases to the Bosch. The plunge base plates on both routers have identical mounting screw placements--3 screws, although I'm not sure about the screw diameter and threading. The plunge base size and shape and screw hole placement is also the same as that on the Bosch 1613 plunge router.

However, the Craftsman and and Bosch 1617 fixed bases have different screw hole patterns. There are a lot of extra holes in the Craftsman plate, but I couldn't get any of them to line up with the Bosch. I ordered a blank 6" base plate with a PC-sized center hole from MCLS for $11.95 and free postage. You can drill any screw-hole pattern you need. Pat Warner, Routerman, also has base plates available. Get his phone number from his website and call him. He is very helpful and can figure out what you need to do.

As far as whether the Craftsman will fit into the Bosch fixed base, I don't know.

Got home from work a few minutes ago, and I dug out both fixed bases. They fit in each other.

Awesome! Thanks Randal for helping me out there, much appreciated!!!!