Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craftsman 15" Lathe on order

Craftsman 15" Lathe on order

Hello, a new turner here - actually, I have a Craftsman 15" (model 09-21715) on order. Any reason not to purchase this item (I can still cancel the order)? Anyone have any experience with this model lathe? Thanks, Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Meacham View Post
    Hello, a new turner here - actually, I have a Craftsman 15" (model 09-21715) on order. Any reason not to purchase this item (I can still cancel the order)? Anyone have any experience with this model lathe? Thanks, Pete
    We will need details:
    cost, construction of the lathe, model number, pictures.
    Generally speaking, you will hear that we don't recommend Craftsman products. What we would recommend would be based on your skill, intent, desire and pocketbook.
    If you are as crazy as most of us seem to be, this lathe will only satisfy you (if at all) for a short period of time...
    You might be best served to hold off a bit, join a club, attend a class or two, find a mentor or two and try other people's lathes and listen to thisr stories. Some guys get a mini/midi lathe and stay with it, quite content as there is a lot you can do with one.
    The rest of us need (want, really) the BIG toys. In the end, if you think you might "need" the big lathe, don't buy the inexpensive one as you will end up with the big one anyway.
    Take the money you save by not buying the inexpensive one and spend it on good turning tools.
    Those are my questions, observations and suggestions.
    G
    Change One Thing

Peter,

Welcome to the vortex!

The craftsman lathe has a 15" swing (ie 14 3/4 bowl) and a long bed for turning spindles. I got a used one for my Dad and it works pretty good. For a comparable lathe by size/specification you'd need to go to Nova 1624-44 (~$1000).

For basic turning of bowls, pens, goblets, mugs, platters, etc it should be good. You will want to bolt it to a heavy bench. The lathe has a reeves drive which allows you to slow or speed up the lathe and one of the best features is that the lathe slows down to ~200 RPM. This is really important if you are bowl turning from rough stock (aka Free Wood, ).

The threading is standard 8x1 TPI & MT2 so if you upgrade later, you shouldn't have a problem.

THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND
    While the lathe will go slow, you'll want to round your rough stock before putting it on the lathe. I don't think that you can hang 100 lbs burls off this lathe when its out of round. The bearings just aren't made for that kind of abuse.

To give you an idea of maintenance or repairs that can be done to the lathe check out this guy's link (no affiliation). He has pics & directions for changing out the belt and other stuff. http://aroundthewoods.com/lathelube.html

SUMMARY
    Its not the most heavy duty lathe in the world, but it gives you access to the extra swing to make larger platters and stuff.

Definitely join a local club, the AAW has a number of chapters (http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/). Having someone to mentor you will really improve your turning quickly. Check out the local Community College, they may also have a turning program.

MOST IMPORTANT
    Now that you have the lathe, don't forget the face shield. Its hard to wood work by feel only!
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

Peter,
    I don't want to sound bad but I would not buy it, many of us bought the palmgren 15" for a good price and is and was the same lathe. Many of us had many many problems with them and when I finally got everything straighten out with mine I sold it as did many other. I am sure others will chime about this. when They work they are a decent lathe and I did make sure mine was working well when it was sold.

Bob

Please do a search on Palmgren lathe. I think that is the twin of this lathe with different label.
    Gordon

if you like to spend more time changing bearing and working on the lathe or should I say fixing the lathe than working on it . I first bought one because of the price If I new then what I new now I would have bought a Jet Mini If you do buy it new be sure to get the extra warranty youl need it

I tried one several years ago. I called Sears and told them I am returning it. I SAID "If your doors are not open, I will give it back right through the plate glass."
    Don't bother with an extended warranty, they have no idea how to fix one!!!!!!!!!!
    I am not bashful, trust me, it's a piece of junk. You will learn to hate Wood Turning.
    Get my drift, you asked.

Peter, I don't Know what you are paying for this lathe. Nor do I know what price range you have to stay in at this time. I have came up with this way of thinking when talking to a fellow who wants to get a lathe to start turning. #1 if you are going to buy new then buy a lathe that you will keep and not upgrade. If your budjet is small then buy a mini like a jet 1014 or 1220 this is a lay that does not have to be upgraded at all but you may at some time step up from and add another lathe keeping the mini for other turnings. The best thing about craftsman is the credit card and thats not saying much. Things are just not like they use to be. I have an old craftsman pipe lathe and it serves it purpose. I always said my 2nd lathe would be a jet 1642EVS 220vts But There was this big sale on the 1442 and the only one left was the floor demo. My eyes got big and I loaded her up. I've seen the same lathe on CL for $500.00 and one without legs was cheaper than that. Look hard at the 1220. Then if you feel the need to grow yellow may be your favorite color.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stevener View Post
    I tried one several years ago. I called Sears and told them I am returning it. I SAID "If your doors are not open, I will give it back right through the plate glass."
    Don't bother with an extended warranty, they have no idea how to fix one!!!!!!!!!!
    I am not bashful, trust me, it's a piece of junk. You will learn to hate Wood Turning.
    Get my drift, you asked.
    And I thought that I was being brutal!
    Change One Thing

Peter I also had one. It lasted longer than most others. I just took my second headstock to the scrape metal place. There are 3 belts on this unit and you can't buy them from any other place but Sears or Palmgren. They will run you about $70 I think for the belts. I have had to repair mine 7 times in 1 1/2 yrs from belts, capacitors twice, start/run switch, speed control arm, and one pulley. Some of these parts took 6 weeks to get. If you get a extended warranty the repairman they send out doesn't know squat about lathes and I ended up doing the work. If this thing quits again I am not going to fix it. If I were you I would look at the Nova 1624-44 (16" swing), Rikon midi or the Jet 1220 which both have 12" swings. I heard the Jet 1220 is coming out with a Variable speed unit in Feb. Just my $1.298.
    Last edited by Bernie Weishapl; 01-20-2008 at 4:18 PM.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I won't add much to this, but someone else is looking to buy a Sears bandsaw. The problem began when Sears stopped getting their motorized tools from Emerson or some other relatively reliable outfit and went to Ryobi stuff. My experience with Ryobi made equipment is not good. Quality control is terrible. You will find some people who are perfectly satisfied with their Ryobi equipment, but more often than not, you'll find people who are very frustrated with theirs. I won't buy Ridgid (home depot) stuff for that reason. There are some very good, relatively inexpensive lathes out there, especially when outfits like Craft, Woodcraft, Hartville and Rockler and others have sales, BUT........ I strongly urge you to go to a local dealer who can give you advice, service your machine and order parts for you readily.
    Ask other Creekers near you for the name of a dealer.
    Regards, Hilel.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

Sears tools!

Sears tools are now and always have been made by some subcontractor. there was a time when the craftsman name meant something quality. This does not seem to be the case any more. You have gotten some excellant, tho be it HARD advise here. I have not nor will I buy anything in tools from them. You mihgt rethink your quest. A hard, but hardy welcome to the site.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by George Guadiane View Post
    And I thought that I was being brutal!
    A George, the gentleman asked. I will not recommend any one lathe, however, I will put down a bad one. How does the saying go -- if it quacks, it's a duck.

Thanks to all who responded. I know Craftsman is not the top brand in the world - but somehow I have purchased tons of their equipment over the years. I guess it all has to do with pricing and availability of parts, if necessary.

I can't really badmouth Craftsman for the most part - you get what you pay for but their tools seem to do the job for me. I am getting the lathe for about $404 after sale and discount. It seems to have some decent features for the money. Hopefully it will last for awhile. I don't want to put a lot of money into a lathe at this point as all I want to do at the moment are some baseball bats, rustic furniture, etc. Nothing too exotic as most of you probably do. I may get hooked and branch out further as time goes on. But I also have a CNC router and laser engraver to keep me busy as well.

Again, thanks for all replies and I am still deciding on whether to take delivery of the lathe or not. I am not shy about taking tools back to Sears if necessary - I did buy a Compucarve (Carvewright) machine about a year ago from them (yes, on sale) and then took it back - it was OK and if I did not already have a bigger CNC machine I might have kept the Compucarve

Regards, Pete