Thread: Laguna Mortise Machine

Laguna Mortise Machine

Anyone familiar with this Laguna mortise machine? I build a lot of mission style furniture and have been looking to upgrade from my old bench top Grizzly mortise machine.

http://www.lagunatools.com/hollowchiselmortiserstand.htm

Thanks

Terry
    Last edited by Terry Teadtke; 01-21-2008 at 1:55 AM.

Anyone -- I was looking at this also.

I can not tell from the pictures -- how it stacks up against the powermatic or general. I like the powermatic over the general. But would like to know more!

I requested info from their site after seeing their ad on the back of a magazine. They called a couple of days latter. The person was nice and answered all of my questions and said he would send more information but never has. Amazon had the JET at a very good price last weekend and I could not resist, mine should be here any day now.

If I was going to spend that kind of coin I would SERIOUSLY look at Laguna's new Platinum slot mortiser for 1/3 more $.

http://www.lagunatools.com/platinum3.htm

-kg

Machine Specifications
    Motor
    3.0 HP
    RPM
    Weight (net)
    265 Lbs.
    Amp Breaker
    Maximum Height of Mortising
    5"
    Maximum Tool Diameter
    16mm
    Maximum Longitudinal Travel of the table
    8.5"
    Maximum Cross Travel of the table
    5.5"
    Table Size
    18" x 7.5"
    Length
    30"
    Width
    22"
    Height
    52"
    List Price
    $995.00

CDN Price: Click Here

Need Square Holes

I’ve had Delta and Grizzly mortise machines in the past and they slowly fall a part over time with the amount of mortising I do. I’ve been looking for a better machine and I’m impressed with many of the features the Laguna has compared to similar mortise machines I’ve seen in this price range. I also am anticipating the Laguna’s going to be better built hence last longer. I requested more information from Laguna and received 2 DVD’s. Unfortunately the mortise machine was not covered in either DVD but just about every other machine Laguna makes was covered. But I will tell you I’m really impressed with everything else they make, especially, the cubic dollar combination machines. Kinda makes the SawStop I’m going to be ordering look pretty primitive in comparison. But then again the SawStop is a 10th of the price J

Terry

Kelly Mentioned the JET model. It is a very good model in fact I'm pretty sure it is the same as the old Powermatic 719. Powermatic has gone to the Tilting table. So if you do angled tenon work you'll want to go with the Powermatic 719T. Otherwise I'd save some coin and go with the JET for straight cuts.

That Laguna looks pretty cool, but that looks a bit more production based to me. And a bit larger for the shop.

Chris
    Almost 10 years of WWing and something tells me I'm going to stay a Newbie the rest of my life, but still having all kinds of fun doing it.