Thread: TopCote vs. Johnson Paste Wax

TopCote vs. Johnson Paste Wax

I have a table saw with a Biesmeyer fence. I cleaned it and now I wonder whether it is better to put a coat of TopCote or Paste Wax on it.

Any thoughts?

Steve Boltoon
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would put a coat of Boeshield T-9 on it and let it sit for an hour or two and wipe it off. Then follow that up with Johnsons paste wax at regular intervals to keep it slippery.
    Mike Marcade
    Senior Mechanical Engineer
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Steven Bolton View Post
    I have a table saw with a Biesmeyer fence. I cleaned it and now I wonder whether it is better to put a coat of TopCote or Paste Wax on it.

Any thoughts?

Steve Boltoon
    I used to use TopCote and wax. Now I just use Butcher's Bowling Alley wax (it drys harder than Johnson's) and have had great results. I live in Iowa and it's humid in the Summer and cold in the Winter and I don't get any rust. I DO wipe it down real quickly with a waxy rag when I put it away for the night, so it is always getting renewed. Small cost for such costly equipment IMHO
    Steven

I've been using simple paste wax for years with zero rust. I probably re-coat about twice a year...max.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use wax and WD-40. I tried the others and it didn't seem to make as much difference as regular maintenance did.

Tom

da yellow can here. i used to have a real problem with rust in my old shop. it was a barn with a dirt floor. since being in the new shop with a subfloor i've had zero probs with rust, so i apply pretty infrequently with good results.
    The Country Toad Workshop Rogersville, Al

A question for curiosities sake

I've been curiouos about this for a while.When I was in my teens my dad had a friend who was an old time carpenter.I really enjoyed his company and this is probably why so much of his advice stuck with me.Anyway he told me to rub linseed oil on your tools to keep them from rusting.He was religious about this.I'm sure that the wax and other modern alternatives are better but I'm curious if anyone still uses this.

I use the same wax and T-9. I wax about twice a year and use T9 if the table was used and I know i won't be in the shop for a couple weeks.

Tom

I use Johnson's pastewax exclusively. Once I am finished using the tool, I will re-apply a light coat of it for added protection. Also, when my large stationary tools are not being used, I cover them with those large heavy "moving" blankets that you find at U-haul. I have found that those REALLY work well...they are soft but yet allows air to still circulate around the machine. I live in GA, so I have to deal with high humidity also. To battle that, I have a dehumidifyer running in my shop also. That, in conjunction with the paste wax and blankets have kept rust off of my tools for the past 6 years.

I have both and some minwax finishing wax. I use whatever paste wax is closest to the front of the front of the cabinet.

T-9 didn't work well for me but I literally had water condensing on the surfaces that had to be wiped off with a towel. In fairness, the paste wax didn't keep the problems down.

I doubt either is any better than the other.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

There have been a few magazine studies that showed Boeshield to be the clear winner in rust prevention. The Johsnons wax allowed rust to re-appear within 20 minutes in the test. Thats why I use the T-9 to prevent rust and the Johnson's wax to provide a slippery surface.
    Mike Marcade
    Senior Mechanical Engineer
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.

I've used all three at one point or another. They all work fine. I can't see any reason to spend money on dedicated products when they alone cost more than a single can of paste wax. With it, you get a dozen additional uses besides just rust prevention. I wax my woodent drawer slides with it, all the jigs that have miter slot runners get a coat. I try not to spend extra money for one-hit wonders, myself
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Quote Originally Posted by chris yount View Post
    I've been curiouos about this for a while.When I was in my teens my dad had a friend who was an old time carpenter.I really enjoyed his company and this is probably why so much of his advice stuck with me.Anyway he told me to rub linseed oil on your tools to keep them from rusting.He was religious about this.I'm sure that the wax and other modern alternatives are better but I'm curious if anyone still uses this.
    Just starting out, lurking and reading as many posts as I can, I always pick up a few items that are mentioned here on my forays to the store and recently bought a can of BLO. I thought it interesting that one of the features listed on the side of the can was as a rust preventative. I also picked up some Penetrol, which, I'm guessing, would be the first choice as a general tool protectant?

- Jim

RE: Penetrol

http://www.flood.com/Flood/CustomerS...netrol+FAQ.htm

Not a tool protectant at all, at least not intended as one.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore