Thread: TS reccomendations

TS reccomendations

I have been looking for a good bargian saw to replace my entry level Jet direct-drive saw, that has been good, but has some regretable issues.

I like buying good-condition used gear, but i am open to spending money for something nice (and new). My budget can be flexible, if i get real value for it (i.e. may more for something that saves me time, but not pay more for a 'cool' feature that i use rarely). Here is what i have narrowed down to my "must haves" for my ideal contractor, or small hybrid TS:

1. Cast iron extension tables, no stamped steel.
    2. good, accurate fence. Not a weak aluminum thing that needs to be reset every time i use the saw.
    3. Ability to incorporate dust collection without too much after-purchase work.
    4. belt drive, decently powerful motor (but not fooling myself, i don't need the heavest
    5. Accurate bladeguard, or ability to incorporate a rivening knife/splitter. I don't want to spend too much time after removing the blade guard for dado's and rabbets to put it back on, and be set right.
    6. Mobile base, or balanced well for a shop made or aftermarket mobile base. I need to move the saw in and out every time i use it.

I saw a pioneer on sale for $450 with near all these features and i hesitated too long to purchase. What would you do for something in this area?
    In VT we don't have a heck of a lot of options. There is a Lowe's, HD, and a western tool supply along with some local contract supplpy places. I'd drive to get a good deal for the right saw. Last, i am not in a hurry, and would prefer to take the time to find the right thing before taking the leap to buy.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave Buffington; 01-21-2008 at 4:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Buffington View Post
    I have been looking for a good bargian saw to replace my entry level Jet direct-drive saw, that has been good, but has some regretable issues.

I like buying good-condition used gear, but i am open to spending money for something nice (and new). My budget can be flexible, if i get real value for it (i.e. may more for something that saves me time, but not pay more for a 'cool' feature that i use rarely). Here is what i have narrowed down to my "must haves" for my ideal contractor, or small hybrid TS:

2. good, accurate fence. Not a weak aluminum thing that needs to be reset every time i use the saw.
    4. chain drive, decently powerful motor (but not fooling myself, i don't need the heavest
    5. Accurate bladeguard, or ability to incorporate a rivening knife/splitter. I don't want to spend too much time after removing the blade guard for dado's and rabbets to put it back on, and be set right.
    6. Mobile base, or balanced well for a shop made or aftermarket mobile base. I need to move the saw in and out every time i use it.

I saw a pioneer on sale for $450 with near all these features and i hesitated too long to purchase. What would you do for something in this area?
    In VT we don't have a heck of a lot of options. There is a Lowe's, HD, and a western tool supply along with some local contract supplpy places. I'd drive to get a good deal for the right saw. Last, i am not in a hurry, and would prefer to take the time to find the right thing before taking the leap to buy.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Chain drive ? Is that a new option nowdays ? Does it have a derailer to change speeds ? Harbor Frieght might have one, they are the leader in tablesaw innovation you know.
    Last edited by Chuck Lenz; 01-21-2008 at 2:58 PM.

Craigslist is your friend. For a savings of a couple hundred, how far are you willing to drive? In the tools section, post contractor's saw wanted. Tell um what you want. Sure the first saw won't have everything, but it will be a start. Here craigslist is funny, no saws and then several. In the last three weeks there has been a Uni for $150 (yes I said $150- it sold in fifteen minutes, and that was before 7:00 AM), a contractor's saw, completely tricked out for $700, another for $200, one missing motor, but with cast iron wings for $100, and currently one for $140 that has broken fence. The Craftsman 22124 fits most of your requirements, except for price.

You might consider a good (yes there are some) used Craftsman. You can get a 20-30 year old one in great shape for under $200. I just sold my Dad's saw and it had added steel pully's, link belt, wheels, and an upgraded motor. Sold it for $200. It ran smooth and was a real worker. The weak link on it was the fence...not good at all, but he still did some great work with it.

Next step is to announce to creekers that you are in the market for one of those Beismeyer fences that some of us got for $80 when Lowes was selling them. Hey, I got two (not for sale). Some people are selling them for about $200 which is still half price, and they make their profit for being on top of the situation.

This could get you one really nice unit for $400, maybe less.

Just another option,

Rick Potter

I had the Delta saw sold at Lowes with the T-2 Fence system before I found a steal on a UNisaw at an auction. I have been very happy with the contractor saw. Very accurate and the incorperated mobile base was nice. It meets most of your desires listed I think. I would still be using this saw without a question had I not found the unisaw.

There are also some good deals on Craigslist as indicated and at auctions. Just have to be at the right place at the right time!!!!!

Jet Entry Level...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Buffington View Post

4. belt drive, decently powerful motor (but not fooling myself, i don't need the heavest

Thanks,
    Dave
    Dave, what Jet do you have and what about it makes you want to upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Parslow View Post
    Dave, what Jet do you have and what about it makes you want to upgrade?
    Hi Dennis - I can't say with any certainty which exact model he has, but most of the direct drive saws are smallish benchtop types or benchtops with legs, have loud universal motors, and just tend to be lighter and sloppier than the full size saws.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    Hi Dennis - I can't say with any certainty which exact model he has, but most of the direct drive saws are smallish benchtop types or benchtops with legs, have loud universal motors, and just tend to be lighter and sloppier than the full size saws.
    That is about right. I forget the exact model, it is a good bit nicer than most bench top saws, but has some serious entry level drawbacks:

The fence is aluminum, and will be parallel to the blade when it is adjusted, but goes out so often, that i just get in the habit of setting it up every time i use the saw.

The stamped steel table extensions don't stay in place, and every couple months i have to go through and level them out and tighten up the nuts.

motor isn;t incredibly powerful and tends to bog down on thick stock.

the blade guard/ splitter is not easy to take off and put back on when cutting dados and is a pain to get set to line up with the saw blade so materiel doesn't get hung up as it gets to the splitter part. I like have all the safety features on and working.

Basically, i realize i don;t spend as much time int he shop as i would like, because it requires time to set up the saw before I get started. With only a couple hours a night on work days, that is a hassle.

Thanks for the input guys.
    Dave