Thread: Cub Scouts Arrow of Light Award

Cub Scouts Arrow of Light Award

Just picked up some blanks today from Ed Lang, here on the forum for the Cub Scouts "Arrow of Light" award. Ed's making the blanks from 3/4" red oak and selling just the blanks to engravers.

There's a lot of kids out there in Cub Scouts and it's my understanding this is the highest award a cub scout can get it, and possibly the only one that transfers up to the Boy Scouts, so it's a proud moment in their lives.

The blanks are top notch, smooth with rounded corners- ready to engrave and finish. The "Rays of Light" are cut in, so all that's engraved is the text and logos. It comes with a saw tooth hanger you can put on the back and two loops of leather for them to hang their arrow. I spoke with Ed about not using the Oak, since it engraves inconsistent and he let me know that for that award, he wanted that look. I have seen one done in Alder, and he's right, the alder looks perfect, but too perfect and not enough "outdoorsy". So I picked up some Oak ones and engraved this one as a sample.

Finish is Danish Oil, rubbed on with a cloth. Even I can't screw up applying Danish Oil I think I used the "Golden Oak" tinted Watco Danish Oil.

One thing about these awards is they stop giving them out in the next few months, so it's prime season to be pushing them. If you want some great blanks, give Ed a shout.

Click to enlarge:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Coincidentally, I am doing some of those awards this week and I understand one of the parents is making them. The ones I'm working with are 36" long and won't fit into my machine so we're going to use cherry wood thins as applique's. They'll look better and I can do them with any problem.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

It's that time of the year, for sure. These are 24" long, not sure about the height, I don't have it in front of me right this minute.

In talking with Ed and some Scout people, it looks like this is a nice product to start offering up in November/December.

I can see do several 100 of these a season no problem, since it's at least 10 to a pack around here, and certainly a lot more than 10 packs in this area.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Gold Foil ?

I am thinking some of that gold foil would look cool. Or would that cheese it up ?
    Epilog Helix 45
    Corel Draw X7
    Stepcraft 840 CNC
    Fully outfitted woodshop
    I'm a PC...........

I guess you could do anything you want. I also had Ed make me one without the "rays" cut in it, so I could do some inlay work on it. I'm sure he'll supply the basic blank anyway you like, with or without the rays.

Then it's up to you to make your local's happy. It's just nice for people like me who don't have access to a woodworking shop to be able to get the ready made blanks.

Hi Scott,
    Glad they are working out for you.
    ed
    Trotec Speedy 300 45W
    Universal VLS4.60 50W
    Universal M-300 50w
    ShopBot PRSAlpha48
    Techno LC4848
    Oneway 2436

Copyright/Trademark Issues?

We've had a few people ask us to do scouting things, but we've had to decline because we heard the Boyscouts of America are very strict about not giving permission for their logo's, etc. to be used. Have you had similar problems? Has anyone had luck getting permission?

Thanks.

Bsa

I sent a design to the marketing headquarters in late September and still have not heard from them.
    EPILOG LEGEND 32 60 WATT, CORELDRAWX5, PhotoGraV2.11, strip heater, PUNTA GORDA, FLORIDA

I doubt that the scouts are going to bother somebody doing things for a couple of scout troups. I know what the rules are but I think the intent is to prevent somebody from using scout trademarks and property in a disrespectful manner or in a broad-based marketing effort.

I do work for the regional headquarters here in St. Louis and questioned my contact, who is the buyer of such things, and he was not happy with the latest edict from HQ and felt that the language was more legalese for their protection. That doesn't constitute permission but I think it means carry on with the small stuff that BSA is unable to do.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7