Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help in finishing Beech and Walnut

Brian, there are clear pore fillers and colored pore fillers. The latter is generally used for effect when you want to accentuate said pores. While you "can" apply them over the bare wood, it's somewhat normal to seal first (after any oiling, etc) with de-waxed shellac so that any coloration in the pore fillers do not stain the wood. After they are cured, another application of de-waxed shellac seals the filler and provides a good base for whatever finishing regimen you intend to use beyond that point. There are both water based and oil based fillers. The latter is a little easier to work; the former dries out pretty quickly so you have less time to level it with the plastic spreader and work it with burlap, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim,

It does take a lot of coats to bring it up to level but have you ever tried shellac as a clear filler?

Is shellac available at the Borg or do I need to go to a Rockler to get some?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Never mind - found it at Lowes.

I am half-way through the wipe-on poly process. Tomorrow I'll sand and add 3 coats of wipe-on. Wait 24-48 hours.

I have both polishing compound and wax. If I use both, I assume the polishing compound is first. Is that correct?

Yes, use the polishing compound first and then the wax. There have been pieces where I didn't use polishing compound - I've just applied wax with 0000 steel wool and then let it dry, then buff with a clean cloth. That's what I love about finishing is that there are so many different ways to do things.

Brian, if you're using a polyurathane based varnish it won't develop as hard a surface as the other varnishes will. It's a fairly soft finish and being so isn't the product to use if you want a "gloss" finish. It will rub out to a decent semi-gloss finish but there is no sense in trying to rub it to gloss as it won't. You should take a well sanded board and finish one half with your wipe on poly and the other with the Behlen's Rockhard (and/or shellac and/or lacquer), let them cure for a month and then try rubbing out both. You'll find that the Rockhard will develop a full gloss finish (i.e. you can use it as a mirror).

On the responses in this thread it's the first time I've paid any attention to the words "Behlen's Rockhard". I am looking forward to trying that in the future. If I end up with a good semi-gloss on this little project, I'll be a happy camper. It may be a useful stand, but it is mostly an experiment and learning tool.

SAme here. I've got to try Behlen's.

Brian and Sam, if you take a nice clear finish (no flatteners added), let it cure, and then rub out to 0000 steel wool and wax that will be a nice semi-gloss finish. Gloss is like a high end guitar or Steinway piano finish - mirror like where you can see your self in detail in the reflection. For that kind of gloss you need to go much further than 0000 steel wool. Sometime take some spare time and practice finishing on scrap. Try shellac, lacquer, and a good hard varnish, apply them properly and then try different buffing levels. It's really instructive and doesn't take much time to do. You'll be able to use the result as a reference for future projects.

Sounds good.

I have a dining table that needs refinishing. I could make a couple of boards with experimental finished to set on the table. I could set the hot dishes on the boards to see which holds up best under regular use and abuse.

Finished finish

I just finished the project. I feel happy about it, flaws and all. I did two sets of 3-4 coats of wipe-on Poly, followed by sanding to 1000, rubbing compound and wax. I rubbed on the wax - have not yet tried putting on the wax with 0000 steel wool.

It could have used another layer of polyurethane. During the fine sanding and rubbing, I could see the places where I was getting to the bottom of the poly layer.

I look forward to trying the Behlen's Rockhard.

I am posting a thread on "General Woodworking and power tools" to get critique on the design and structure. Thank you for all of your help. I am satisfied with this attempt at a finish, but look forward to trying several of the variations that were suggested to see how I can improve.
    Attached Images Attached Images